Chefs Marc Forgione and JJ Johnson make their US Open debuts, joining culinary all-stars Ed Brown, David Burke, Josh Capon, David Chang, Esther Choi, Tony Mantuano, Masaharu Morimoto and Marcus Samuelsson.
The US Open is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. In honor of that milestone, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and hospitality partner Levy have introduced several new dining options for patrons around the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center grounds in Flushing, NY.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
More than 700,000 guests are served annually at the Food Village, various restaurants and other on-site concessions areas at the US Open. Everything from piri piri salmon with pineapple black rice to lemongrass chicken bánh mì is on offer for visitors to the 2018 event.
Here are the culinary masterminds behind the mouthwatering fare at the 2018 US Open and a sample of what they’re cooking.
Chef Brown has worked in some of the most celebrated kitchens around the world for more than 30 years. His work has been acknowledged by numerous New York Times stars and he has received a Michelin star. The 1983 graduate of the Culinary Institute of America reconceptualized ACES by Ed Brown, the premium seafood restaurant that operates during all 14 days of the US Open.
US Open highlights: Olive-poached Skuna Bay salmon, tuna tartare with pistachio
One of the pioneers of contemporary American cooking, Burke blurs the lines between chef, artist, entrepreneur and inventor. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and a student at Ecole Lenotre Pastry School in Plaisir, Burke has worked with legendary chefs in France and New York.
US Open highlights: Fish tacos, chicken tacos, fried shrimp po’ boy
Located: Angry Taco (Food Village and concessions)
Capon is the executive chef partner behind Downtown NYC favorites Lure Fishbar, B&B Winepub, ElToro Blanco and Bowery Meat Company. After cutting his teeth at Burke’s Park Avenue Cafe, Capon was offered an exchange opportunity to work in Europe and spent the following year crafting his skills in restaurants throughout France, Italy, Germany and Spain.
US Open highlights: Signature lobster roll, oysters, shrimp cocktail
Located: Lure Fishbar
Chef Chang is the founder of Momofuku, which boasts restaurants in New York City, Washington DC, Sydney, Toronto and Las Vegas. Chang has been honored with five James Beard Foundation Awards since opening the first Momofuku in 2004. Momofuku Ko has two Michelin stars, which it has retained since 2009.
US Open highlights: 110 burger (two LaFrieda beef patties topped with cheese, applewood-smoked bacon, pickles and Fuku mayo), knockout sandwich (spicy fried chicken topped with seasoned cabbage and knockout sauce)
Located: Fuku (Food Village and concessions)
Chef Choi owns the award-winning Mokbar at Chelsea Market, New York City’s first and only Korean ramen bar. Hailed as a 30 Under 30 Culinary Rock Star by Zagat, Choi is chief culinary director at Korilla.
US Open highlights: K-BOP bulgogi (sticky rice bowls with bulgogi topped with housemade kimchi, kale and fire-roasted corn with Korilla’s signature sauce), signature poke bowls
Located: Korilla BBQ and Poke Yachty (Food Village and concessions)
Making his US Open debut, Forgione is the chef/owner of Restaurant Marc Forgione and American Cut. He won the third season of Food Network’s The Next Iron Chef, becoming the youngest winner in the show’s history.
US Open highlights: OG 1942 hotel caesar, chili lobster, 40oz porterhouse steak
Located: Champions by American Cut
Johnson is a James Beard-nominated chef known for cooking the food of the African diaspora. He is previewing his new restaurant FIELDTRIP – opening in fall 2018 in Harlem – at the US Open this summer.
US Open highlights: Crispy jerk BBQ chicken thigh with Carolina Gold rice, piri piri salmon and pineapple black rice
Located: FIELDTRIP (Food Village and concessions)
A James Beard award winner, Mantuano has been instrumental in defining true Italian cuisine in the United States. He is a chef and partner at Spiaggia and River Roast, both in Chicago.
US Open highlights: Crudo (raw marinated sea scallops, cucumber, Anaheim chili, pistachios, olive oil), fusilli (pork ragu, parmigiano reggiano, pomodoro), grilled king crab legs
Located: Cafe Spiaggia
Morimoto bridges the culinary traditions of his native Japan and the US. Morimoto first competed on Japanese show Iron Chef in 1998 and became a star of Food Network’s Iron Chef America in 1999. He has restaurants in Mexico City, Bangkok, Las Vegas and New York City.
US Open highlights: Chef’s sushi and sashimi of the day
Samuelsson is the acclaimed chef behind Red Rooster Harlem, Ginny’s Supper Club, Streetbird Rotisserie and Marcus’s Bermuda at the Hamilton Princess and Beach Club. Samuelsson is the youngest chef to receive a three-star review from the New York Times and has won multiple James Beard Foundation awards.
US Open highlights: Chef-inspired dishes packed with Latin flavors
Located: Mojito Restaurant & Bar
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.