Long before The Wing opened its first “coven” and women’s retreats became the trendy wellness getaway, Uplift was offering female fitness, connection and empowerment in the heart of Manhattan.
It was 2012 when Leanne Shear founded a fitness studio specifically for women in New York’s Flatiron district. From the get-go she knew her goal was to make women feel powerful and capable in every aspect of their lives, and that meant facilitating connection between clients. Six years on, Uplift has a thriving community who frequent the studio to be pushed physically and supported emotionally.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
We caught up with Shear to talk female bonding, the rise of women-only spaces, and why strength training is her workout preference.
Culture Trip: What was the original philosophy behind Uplift and why did you decide to make it female only?
Leanne Shear: I was a writer before I started Uplift, and I started to diversify a little bit, doing running coaching on the side. I found that something interesting happened—when I was was running side by side with another woman, or working out with another woman, we were physically active, but we were also giving each other advice in other areas of our lives. So it kind of struck me early on that movement and physical fitness was a way to bring women to the table and empower them in other ways.
CT: Uplift is also a female society. How important is that in terms of helping women stay on track in all aspects of their wellbeing?
LS: The root of everything is an authentic strong community of women. Often we’ll do a workout and then a workshop on love and relationships, and we’ll drink some wine while we discuss these things. Or we’ll do our Strong Women Uplift Each Other series, which is when we come together and discuss topics we find it hard to face, like miscarriages and infertility, mental health issues, the loss of a parent—things like that. For us it’s this continuous cycle and circle of empowerment.
CT: Uplift focuses mainly on strength training. Why that, as opposed to, say, yoga or Pilates?
LS: The core of our business is strength, so we don’t shy away from lifting heavy weights which isn’t historically something women have gravitated towards in their workouts, but I’ve always said that when you’re physically strong that translates into other areas of your life. So even if somebody only comes to us just for her strength training she’s going to go out into the world and act strong. We see this correlation between women feeling physically strong and feeling better equipped to negotiate a higher salary with her boss, or stand up for themselves if their relationship is flagging. All sorts of empowering things.
CT: A lot of exercise research is done on male bodies, but women have very different physiology. I’m curious to know whether you’re structuring classes around females specifically.
LS: Like you say, it’s actually alarming how the vast majority of physical fitness research is done on males, and you’re hitting the nail on the head in saying that our biology is very different. So we’ve created a continuing education credit for personal trainers with all the latest research and programing specifically geared towards the female body. Our coaches are women, they understand women, and they just connect with their female clients on a higher level.
I do think strength training is a really important part of a woman’s life for many reasons, but Uplift is unique and special in that we provide that added element of female empowerment, connection and community which is something women crave and need as well.
CT: There’s been a surge in female-focused spaces in recent years. As one of the first businesses in the city to take this approach, how does it feel?
LS: I feel proud of the fact that I was able to perceive the tide turning with women-only spaces—that it was going to be coming to prominence. I think because I was experiencing my own growth and feminist awakening, trying to understand my own place in the world as a woman and where I felt comfortable. I think there’s something really powerful about women coming together, and there’s something revolutionary about it too. It’s not just a safe space—all these movements [like Me Too and Time’s Up] show that women are intelligently and purposefully taking back power. When one woman speaks up and she has an army of women around her supporting and encouraging her, well that makes things much easier. It’s a really exciting moment in our culture right now and I couldn’t be more proud that [Uplift is] right in the middle of all of it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.