If you’ve lived in New York City, you’ve probably discovered that fresh produce—fruit and vegetables—can be hard to find and expensive to buy. But a start-up based just outside the city is attempting to provide a solution.
Bowery Farms is a new type of farming company. Bowery is a vertical farm located in a giant warehouse in Kearny, New Jersey, about 15 miles outside New York City. Technology is at the center of everything Bowery does.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
All of the crops are grown indoors under LEDs, which are built to mimic sunlight, and the plants are grown in water beds rather than soil. Among the greens the company has been growing are kale, arugula, and lettuce.
For Irving Fain, the CEO and founder of Bowery Farms, the motivation behind his company was to solve some big issues.
“I’m a big believer in technology’s ability to solve difficult problems,” Fain says. “After building my last company, I really wanted to spend my time working on an area that I was personally passionate about, and a set of problems that were broadly important. Agriculture sits at the epicenter of so many global issues today.”
Fain makes the point that over 70 per cent of the world’s water supply goes to agriculture, and over 700 million pounds of pesticides are used each year in the U.S. This makes the issue extremely important, as does a growing population that will need 50-70 per cent more food to feed it by 2050. Fain, spurred on by the question of how to provide fresh food more sustainably to urban environments, launched Bowery with co-founders David Golden and Brian Falther.
Bowery uses zero pesticides when growing its produce, around 95 per cent less water than traditional agriculture and claims to be 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land. The company has developed its own software system, BoweryOS, to control the growing process, which uses machine learning and computer vision to keep tabs on how the plants are growing.
Although Bowery hopes to have farms all around the world in the future, New York is the best city to start with for many reasons.
“In 2017, New York’s population hit a new record high of 8.5 million people, and we’re seeing this same kind of rapid population growth in cities throughout the world,” says Fain. “It’s estimated that 70 to 80 per cent of the [world’s] population will live in and around cities by 2050, so by building our farms close to these densely populated areas like NYC, we’re able to provide fresh produce to more people and closer to the point of consumption.”
And New York isn’t the only city suited to vertical farming. “It provides a consistent supply of produce to cities 365 days a year, regardless of increasingly unpredictable weather and seasonality, and is more than 100 times more productive per square foot than traditional agriculture. Moreover, it saves nearly 2,000 food miles traveled by traditional produce, which is an average of two weeks old by the time it gets to shelf today,” says Fain.
Bowery’s next step is to build what it hopes will be the most technologically sophisticated indoor farm in the world this spring, which will also be located in Kearny, New Jersey. The new farm will grow 30 times more produce than it’s previous farm, and will be its most automated farm yet.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.