Those who prefer beaches over buildings should get to know New York City’s other island, Long Island. The 118-mile-long stretch of land may have sprawling suburbs, strip malls, and traffic-clogged highways, but it also has lovely state parks and landmark homes, charming old whaling towns, and, of course, the posh Hamptons. Roughly 25 historic lighthouses dot its shores, many of which are now museums that offer a glimpse of Long Island’s maritime history. Here’s a roundup of favorites that are well worth a visit (and will look great on your Instagram feed).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Montauk Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in New York State, but that isn’t what earned it the honor of being designated a National Historic Landmark. America’s first president, George Washington, commissioned the structure in 1792, and it was completed four years later. Today, history buffs and sight-seekers alike visit the lighthouse to explore its museum and 360-degree views of the Atlantic Ocean and Block Island Sound.
Fire Island Lighthouse
This National Register of Historic Places landmark is adjacent to another New York treasure, Robert Moses State Park. Built in 1826, the Fire Island Lighthouse, situated on the tip of Fire Island, was the first indicator of land for ocean travelers coming from Europe. As it reaches 168 feet (51.2 meters) above sea level, the lighthouse can still be seen from more than 20 miles (32.1 kilometers) away.
Shinnecock Lighthouse has experienced some dark times. The 168-foot-tall (51.2 meters) structure, built in 1858 to illuminate the 67 miles (107.8 kilometers) from Fire Island to Montauk, was victimized by lightning strikes, fires, and hurricanes before finally falling in 1948. As a bright ending befitting a lighthouse, Shinnecock was reimagined as a red brick building and 74-foot-tall (22.5 meters) structure, both of which are standing strong today.
Stepping Stones Lighthouse
Don’t be fooled by its nickname: there’s nothing nefarious about Stepping Stones Lighthouse, or Devil’s Stepping Stones as its known colloquially. The Native American legend behind this moniker, involving the devil, some stepping stones, and an escape to Long Island, is just one fascinating feature of this Victorian-style structure in Nassau County.
Execution Rocks Lighthouse
Even more than its attractively old-fashioned granite, brick, and stone façade, the redemption tale of Execution Rocks Lighthouse is what makes this Mamaroneck structure beautiful. Standing in the Long Island Sound since 1850, the 60-foot (18.2-meter) lighthouse earned its name from either multiple shipwrecks or a cruel and unusual colonial punishment. There’s nothing negative to be found there today—visitors can even enjoy an overnight stay in the lighthouse, equipped with rustic furnishings.
Huntington Lighthouse, constructed in 1912 in the Beaux Arts style, resembles a small castle more than a traditional lighthouse. Its noble appearance befits the royal treatment this tower has received. Guiding naval navigators since 1867 when it was known as Lloyd Harbor Lighthouse, Huntington Lighthouse has been rebuilt to protect it from sea winds and is the subject of ongoing preservation efforts.
North Dumpling Lighthouse
This classic brick structure nestled on the lush, green North Dumpling Island hardly strikes one as a Prohibition-era smugglers’ site. Erected in 1849 to guide vessels approaching Fishers Island, North Dumpling Lighthouse took on a different function during Prohibition, when bootleggers would flash additional lights near the lighthouse to communicate in code with their accomplices. Today, the privately owned lighthouse, now featuring a wind generator, is still a sight worth toasting.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.