No trip to New York City is complete without transiting through Grand Central Terminal. More than just a station, it has over 30 shops and 60 restaurants under the soaring arches – and don’t forget to look up to see the celestial ceiling in all its glory. Here are the best hotels nearby, all bookable on Culture Trip.
For its supreme location, Club Quarters Hotel, Grand Central can’t be beat. The cozy rooms are a favorite with singles and couples who want to see all that NYC has to offer. The Museum of Modern Art, Empire State Building and Fifth Avenue shopping are mere minutes away. Theatergoers will love the fast access to Times Square. Corner rooms offer views of Midtown Manhattan, or check out the Club Living Room on the 27th floor for a wraparound view, work spaces and complimentary refreshments.
Bookworms rejoice – find your bliss between the covers at Library Hotel, a 60-room boutique retreat filled with more than 6,000 volumes on world culture, astronomy, poetry and more. Curl up with your selection in a Petite Room, or the Love Suite with a collection curated by Dr Ruth, and a view of the New York Public Library. Bookmarks Lounge offers complimentary wine and cheese nightly on the terrace, or try a Gone With the Gin cocktail. Bookmark the hotel while you visit Central Park and Fifth Avenue.
You’re instantly on a first name basis at the William, one of the most handsome properties in New York City. Guests rave about the friendly staff at this 33-room Murray Hill hotel, midway between the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. The large, quiet rooms glow with white resin floors and modern decor in saturated primary colors. Many of the suites feature terraces along with fully equipped kitchens. Let the 24-hour Culture Curator concierge point out local landmarks, like a good friend should.
The extraordinarily svelte Gotham, with only two to four suites on each floor, promises a quiet night’s rest like no other. Private balconies in most rooms, and communal terraces, overlook 46th Street. Rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, spacious ensuites and mini-bars stocked with Dean & DeLuca treats. Enjoy more peace and quiet at lovely St Patrick’s Cathedral nearby, or visit the bustling Bryant Park Christmas market during the holidays or Top of the Rock for a change of pace.
A shopper’s delight, the Bernic is carry-your-bags-home distance from Saks Fifth Avenue, Louis Vuitton and Bloomingdale’s. Stash those goodies in a king studio suite and enjoy two balconies and heated bathroom floors that will soothe your tired toes. Then slip on your new togs and visit Allora rooftop restaurant for home-made pasta, seafood and steaks that will make even Italian guests say “Mamma mia.”
A favorite with visitors to the United Nations headquarters, Hotel 48 LEX is surrounded by international restaurants such as Totto Ramen, Lagos and Ess-a-Bagel. Salons and suites offer a fully stocked butler’s pantry, and access to a 24-hour fitness center to burn off those calories. Maps of running routes are available from the concierge, or use a Peloton indoors if skies are gray. In-room wellness products include gold-infused masks by Knesko, perfect for a time out in a deep soaker tub after crossing your personal finish line.
The art deco clock on the marquee and the soaring, pillared lobby will tell you that you’ve arrived at a New York City landmark hotel. Rest assured of a peaceful night as their dedicated sleep expert has created a Rest and Renew menu that features in-room meditations and cushions, a pillow menu, aromatherapy and lullaby music for kids. Every room has a kitchenette with a microwave, while the 1,620sqft (150sqm) Benjamin Suite offers an outdoor hot tub, seasonal garden and two terraces with views of the East River.
Tidy and terrific, the family-friendly Seton Hotel earns high marks from return travelers. Friendly, helpful staff and white-glove cleanliness make this hotel a standout. The location, steps from Grand Central Station, makes it easy to reach all of New York’s great attractions including Times Square and Bryant Park. Budget-conscious guests can opt for shared bathrooms, while other suites feature large ensuites.
An NYC fixture since 1902, the Iroquois has hosted celebrities from James Dean to the Clash. You’ll feel like a VIP here, too. Historic details have been retained in the rooms and suites such as wall-to-wall marble baths and detailed moldings. Photographs of old New York hark back in every room. Explore more of the past on complimentary walking tours offered by Streetwise New York.
Looking for more inspiration? With help from local insiders we’ve narrowed down the coolest hotels in New York City for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, as well as the best cheap hotels in Manhattan for a more affordable option. Best of all, you can book right here on Culture Trip. For exploring, we’ve curated a New York food experience and a wellness tour of New York, each complete with local tips and can’t-be-missed experiences. We know that will all keep you very busy, so here are the best restaurants for lunch in New York City where you can grab a bite on the go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.