You might have guessed from its name, but Midtown Manhattan is one of the most popular areas to stay for visitors because of its central location. Plant yourself in the fizzing nerve center of the Big Apple, and base yourself in one of the best hotels dotted around its core, now bookable with Culture Trip.
Known for being home to many quintessential New York landmarks, Midtown thrives on business as much as pleasure with its cluster of skyscrapers busy with suit-and-tie workers. Travelers are also at their leisure with tons of activities and accommodation options on their doorstep. From rooms with classic New York charm to trendy rooftop bars, these popular hotels in Midtown Manhattan should be at the top of your list.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No relation to the gin, but equally as enticing, Hotel Hendricks is infused with a rock’n’roll edge accomplished by liberal use of animal print and gleaming bronze details. Located close to the glitzy buzz of Broadway, this pet-friendly hotel shows off from the outset with a dramatic exterior overflowing with ivy. Step inside for a glass of fizz at the atomic-yellow lobby bar, or check out the rooftop to take in far-reaching city views from jazzy zebra-stripe booths. The mahogany rooms are thematically cut through with wildlife motifs and offer deluxe amenities like bespoke paraben-free toiletries and Keurig coffee makers.
Tucked away just off Fifth Avenue, the Iroquois is perfectly placed if you’re hoping to splash some cash on a high-end shopping spree. Unsurprisingly, the hotel has welcomed waves of famous figures such as James Dean and The Clash through its doors, and effortlessly maintains its historic elegance. Plush rooms feature marble whirlpool baths with labyrinth mosaic tiling, classic New York photography and luxury Frette robes and linens. Work out on the Peloton bikes in the gym, detoxify in the Finnish sauna or throw back Prohibition-era cocktails in the sunken saloon of Lantern’s Keep.
Peek under the pinstripe awning of the Roger to find a lesson in luxury by designer Anna Busta. Just moments from the Eden of Central Park, this boutique hotel exudes elegance with emerald-hued Persian rugs, polished hardwood floors and classic Hollywood photography in the lobby. Sleek rooms range from snug Deluxe Queens to the Empire Terrace Queen with a private terrace lined with blossoming flowers and sunloungers. All rooms feature minibars stocked with gourmet snacks and silky Egyptian cotton linens. Check out the Parlour Bistro for an elevated twist on comfort food and tuck into soda-dipped fried chicken and home-made ice-cream sandwiches.
Not only does the boutique Bernic Hotel now offer a seasonal open-air rooftop lounge with views of the Chrysler Building, most guest rooms come with a private balcony – or, at least as “private” as anything really gets in Manhattan. Inside, the restful spaces are kept simple but elegant with copper-framed cityscape art, snug queen- or king-size beds topped with lemon-yellow cushions, and tiled bathrooms with heated floors – blissful in the depths of a New York winter. Its location can’t be beat, especially if you’re arriving via train or have tickets to a Broadway show – both Grand Central Station and Times Square are within easy reach.
A magnet for the business-orientated and artfully inclined, this boutique hotel draws you in with smart gray furnishings, bright Persian rugs, smoky abstract art from Gabrielle Rein and recycled metal sculptures. Rooms are unexpectedly expansive considering the busy area and are brimming with luxurious amenities like a pillow menu, signature Affinia beds and ecofriendly toiletries. Thanks to its understated suites with kitchens, the hotel is also ideal for longer stays – a tempting prospect given the daily classic continental breakfast spread and nightly complimentary wine hour.
The ruby-red doors of the Royalton are befitting of its regal title – behind them lie rippling prismatic walls and a swanky lobby leading to rooms fit for futuristic royals. The sleek standards feature cloud-like queen beds with 300-thread-count linens, while the suites have glittering “disco” deep-soaking tubs and huge contemporary wood-burning fireplaces. Slide into one of the suede booths at restaurant Forty Four where you can tuck into a breakfast of challah french toast or eggs benedict. In town for a special occasion? Nomi Beauty is on hand to provide in-room hair and make-up.
Channeling the New York of the Roaring ’20s with contemporary flourishes, Kixby is a mix of jewel-toned velvets, smoky-blue walls and vintage-style gold detailing. On the roof you’ll find The Lookup with its chilled vibes and landmark-laden views, while a moodily lit art deco setting is found in cocktail lounge Lot 15 where you can tear into dripping wagyu steak sandwiches. Deluxe details are aplenty in rooms with Serta Plush Platinum Suite mattresses sitting on platform beds and Malin+Goetz toiletries awaiting in marble walk-in showers. You’ll have emblematic city sights like Times Square and Grand Central Station as your neighbors, too – ideal if you’re looking to cram a lot into your trip.
The Refinery has metamorphosed from hat factory to Prohibition-era tearoom to the luxury hotel you see today. A rich wooden desk sits under the Gothic arches of the cavernous lobby while hardwood floors take you deeper into hallways with traditional tattoo-style art, bold lipstick-red chairs and working Edison telephones. Rooms are high-ceilinged spaces featuring cobalt abstract art and luxury touches like the White Company toiletries, turndown service and golden fixtures. Head up to the Refinery Rooftop for a signature Irish whiskey-driven cocktail and close-up views of the Empire State Building.
Admit it, no New York hotel is more famous than The Plaza. Overlooking Central Park South, it’s as quintessentially New York as Carrie Bradshaw – who shared the small screen with the Plaza in one of the most iconic scenes of Sex and the City. Once facing an uncertain future, the hotel has seen many different owners – including the 45th president of the United States – and has undergone several changes. Half of the building has been converted into condominiums, and an upscale food hall open to the public has been installed on the concourse level. To many, though, the Plaza will forever be the home of the beloved children’s book character, Eloise. The hotel honors the fictional character with a tea and gift shop in her name, as well as her very own suite, outfitted by Betsey Johnson.
Sorted out your place to stay? Begin exploring the Manhattan metropolis by taking a look at the best things to do in the Manhattan neighborhood of Chelsea or checking out the top free things to do in New York City – handy if you splash out on luxurious accommodation, bookable with Culture Trip. Want to see more of the Big Apple? Take a tour or pitch up in one of the most historic hotels in New York before spending the evening back in Manhattan dining at one of the best restaurants in the South Street Seaport area.
This article is an updated version of one originally by Christine Kandic Torres.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.