The South Street Seaport is one of the most scenic and historic areas of Manhattan. Where Fulton Street meets the East River, there are many places to go and have a meal for a reasonable price. Whether you are looking for something fast or a sit-down meal, this area has you covered. Here is our round-up of this neighborhood’s top restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In July of 2009, owner Sherry Delamarter opened Cowgirl Sea-Horse’s doors. Delamarter, who is no amateur when it comes to the restaurant business, owns other successful establishments such as Tortilla Flats, Gulf Coast and their well-known sister restaurant, Cowgirl, in the West Village. This Tex-Mex and seafood restaurant offers a variety of drinks and dinner specials every day of the week as well as interactive game nights, such as trivia on Wednesdays. This multi-colored and creatively decorated restaurant gives off a cozy vibe and is an ace place to dine in Lower Manhattan.
Inhabiting an 1885 smokehouse where they found their name on an old advertisement, Fresh Salt was opened in 2004 as a neighborhood American bar and café. Ever since it opened, their customers have always been unique, ranging from businessmen and women in the daytime to musicians and sailors at night. This bar has an old-school feel and a charm that is indescribable, which is why it is remains so popular. Fresh Salt provides good music and signature sandwiches.
After having their first restaurant, Barbarini Alimentari, completely destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, power couple Stefano Barbagalla and Adriana Luque pulled together and re-built Barbalu where their old eatery once stood. With bright string lights lining the ceiling and bar and table seating, this business aims to please by serving delicious food that looks great as well. With almost all meals priced lower than $20 (£15), Barbalu is a great place for a fine meal to enjoy with friends and family.
The Paris Café
The Paris Café has been around since 1873, which makes it one of New York City’s oldest pubs. So much history lies within the four walls of this restaurant. For instance, Thomas Edison used this place as his second office, and Theodore Roosevelt would come in for a pint during his time as the head of the New York City Police Department. Not only famous for its history, this establishment is well known for their wide variety of craft beers and wholesome cooking. The Paris Café, which overlooks the East River, is the go-to place to watch sporting events while having a great meal.
With a breathtaking view of the waterfront from any seat in the house complemented by their vintage, eco-friendly style, the Industry Kitchen is the place to go for atmosphere. Executive chef Sean Chudoba gets creative with his meals and serves a variety of American dishes, from pizza for dinner to chocolate pizza for dessert. His creations are not to miss. New Yorkers and tourists alike love this place for its matchless ambience and simply delicious food.
From corner to corner on South Street, you will find numerous pubs with American cuisine, but if you look closely, you will find SUteiShi, the most wonderful hidden gem the seaport has to offer. Indoor and outdoor seating with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge is only a fraction of what makes SUteiShi so great. Not only does their main menu feature delectable Japanese dishes, but they also have a brunch menu, all of which is fairly priced. Great food with a cozy vibe makes SUteiShi a go-to spot at the Seaport.
If you are in search of the best burger in New York City, look no further than MarkJoseph Steakhouse. Although it may be on the pricier side, the premium meat, all handpicked by the owner, makes any money spent completely worthwhile. Beginning as a quaint restaurant on a cobblestone street, this place has blossomed into a can’t-miss stop at the Seaport.
Need a place to stay after checking out these local restaurants? Book a stay at one of the best hotels near Manhattan Bridge through Culture Trip now.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.