Fancy a flutter? These hand-picked hotels, within a furlong of the Saratoga Racetrack, New York, should get your heart racing. Best of all, they’re bookable now with Culture Trip.
Saratoga Racetrack is one of the oldest in the country – people have been racing to play the ponies here since the Battle of Gettysburg. And if you’ve seen films such as Seabiscuit (2003) and The Horse Whisperer (1998), you’ll already have an idea of its heritage – although its appearances on the silver screen don’t showcase half of what the wider town of Saratoga Springs has to offer. Scattered with natural mineral baths and museums, it makes for a sure bet of a weekend break. Here’s our pick of its best hotels and B&Bs, ready for you to book.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Let the Polaris Suite at the Adelphi Hotel be your guiding light for a relaxing, upscale weekend. You’ll spend just as much time outside as you will in, with the outdoor private terrace and heated jacuzzi protected from all weather under a retractable awning. If you do somehow end up muddy as a jockey, however, no sweat – you’ll have a blast scrubbing up in the suite’s oversized walk-in shower with wall-mounted jets and two rainfall showerheads.
The rich, handcrafted mahogany furniture and carefully curated antiques in each of the rooms at the Inn at Saratoga add a dash of vintage panache to the oldest hotel in Saratoga Springs. More cool old books, dramatic oil paintings, and fine antiques can be enjoyed in the Side Room, alongside pear ginger martinis and local cheeses. Spy more trinkets and treasures of yesteryear with a short walk through Congress Park to the Saratoga Springs History Museum.
No need to saddle up the mule train to reach Saratoga Racetrack from the Saratoga Dreams Bed & Breakfast; just walk 20 minutes and you’ll be there. In between races, you’ll have no trouble killing time at this Victorian home – sit in your suite by the fireplace with a well-thumbed copy of Black Beauty, play a game of pool in the parlor, or sit on the porch until the sound thundering hooves from across the road ignites that wad of cash in your pocket.
Dim the roar of the racetrack with a quiet stay at the Springwater Bed & Breakfast. Marble bathrooms and fireplaces adorn every light-filled guest room, the majority of which have either private porches or balconies. With flexible breakfast times, both early-risers and snooze button-slappers can have their seat at the table readied for whenever they’re ready to rise. Prepare for the weekend race by popping into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame just around the corner.
If steaks, slots, and soaking in a whirlpool are all you need for a relaxing stay, the Saratoga Casino Hotel has got you covered. Dramatic chevron-patterned carpets, velvet chaise longues and oversized bathrooms with soaking tubs are just the warm-up act for the pleasant surprise (spoiler alert) that is an in-room Plum wine dispenser! The steaks at Morton’s are never rushed, nor should you be. Have your soak, play a couple of rounds of Keno, then settle in for a Mortini while your filet mignon rests.
Immerse yourself in the outdoors without giving up your favorite creature comforts at The Gideon. Planted in Saratoga Springs State Park, your suite keeps you connected with free WiFi and digital cable; that is, of course, if you can bear to disconnect from the Roosevelt Baths & Spa. Spice things up with a hot paprika facial before calming down with a cathartic aromatherapy bath. As the warm mud wrap treatment comes to an end, a quiet walk through the state park begins.
The Executive Suite at Courtyard by Marriott is a cozy yet spacious place to call home, when the snow (or blossom) flurries are gently falling outside your window. The king Murphy bed, dining table set for eight, and comfortable couch will make it hard to justify getting out of your PJs. More of the get-up-and-go type? Opt for a simple guest room instead – with its own kitchenette, you can quickly prep a picnic to take on a hike around High Rock Park, next door.
A historic centerpiece of nearby Glens Falls, the Queensbury Hotel is a rare gem – a renovated residence that’s lost none of its original charm. The black and white checkerboard floor hopscotching its way from the front door through the Grand Lobby will lead you to a laid-back suite, where two-tone walls and hardwood flooring make you the filling in a stylish sandwich. After unpacking, step out of your suite and follow the smooth saxophone notes to the live jazz being performed beside the Grand Lobby’s fireplace.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.