In the depths of winter, the best way to get caffeinated is with a boozy drink.
It’s midwinter in NYC. The January doldrums are in full force; we’re all feeling sluggish and slow and cold. The solution: caffeinated hot cocktails, guaranteed to both warm you up and perk you up. We’ve told you where to warm up with hot toddies and other hot cocktails, and now we’ll let on where to find our favorite hot coffee- and tea-based cocktails for a warm, boozy jolt of caffeine.
Meanwhile, Back At the Lodge at Extra Fancy
Evoke some apres-ski action with Extra Fancy’s minty and warm “Meanwhile, Back At the Lodge,” blending Hennessy VS cognac, Branca Menta, coffee, and absinthe-spiked whipped cream.
302 Metropolitan Ave., Brooklyn, New York
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dirty Banana at Dutch Kills
Dutch Kills, a favorite among bartenders in Long Island City, Queens, take a tiki turn with their Dirty Banana, combining Jamaican rum, banana liqueur, orgeat, and espresso, topped with sweet whipped cream.
27-24 Jackson Ave., Long Island City, New York
Has it been cold and snowy enough for you? Come warm up with a hot drink like this Dirty Banana cocktail. Dark rum, banana liqueur, orgeat, espresso, and sweet cream. Cheers to the weekend! 🍌📸 @ssimrdown . . . . #imbibegram #liqpic #craftcocktails #classiccocktails #mixology #mixologyguide #huffposttaste #lic #queens #nyc #dutchkillsbar #feedfeed #cocktails #thirsty #thirstynyc #handcraftedcocktails #instadrink #drinkstagram #happyhour #cocktailhour #cocktailoftheday #cocktailtime #buzzfeast #eattheworld #tastingtable #ttcocktails #hotdrink #coffee #foodandwine #gooddrink
A post shared by Dutch Kills (@dutchkillsbar) on Dec 16, 2017 at 11:54am PST
Irish Coffee at The Dead Rabbit
The Dead Rabbit is said to make the best Irish Coffee in the world, and we won’t disagree. The recipe was recently revamped by legendary bartender Dale DeGroff. His recipe uses Clontarf Irish whiskey, Birch coffee, demerara syrup, whipped heavy cream, and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
30 Water St., New York City
Calypso Coffee at Dante
Combining aged Panamanian rum, nutty Frangelico, and espresso, and topped with with vanilla cream and a blend of winter spices, the Calypso Coffee at Greenwich Village fave Dante will leave you dreaming of warmer climes.
79-81 Macdougal St., New York City
Dante’s hot drinks are now in full swing. A perfect reprieve from the cold weather. ❄️✨ Calypso coffee – cana brava 7. frangelico. winter spices. espresso. vanilla cream 📸
A post shared by Dante NYC (@dantenewyorkcity) on Dec 11, 2017 at 7:09am PST
Koffie Van Brunt at Fort Defiance
The festive Koffie Van Brunt at Fort Defiance, which combines aged rum, Cherry Heering, and coffee with a cream float, is on its way to becoming a modern classic.
365 Van Brunt St., Brooklyn, New York
Cowboy Coffee at Après at The Knick
St. Cloud Social, the bar atop The Knickerbocker Hotel, has been transformed into seasonal pop-up Après at The Knick. It’s offering an array of hot drinks in lodge-style surrounds, including the Cowboy Coffee: Guatemalan coffee, anejo tequila, Angostura, cinnamon, and maple.
6 Times Square, New York City
Duke of Suffolk at Suffolk Arms
Made with gin, a blend of Earl Gray and English Breakfast teas, and topped with cream, the Duke of Suffolk is a signature drink at Suffolk Arms—its refined and floral answer to Irish coffee.
269 East Houston St., New York City
. Respect is not gained, it’s earned. Duke of Suffolk. . Fords Gin English breakfast and Earl Grey Tea Cream & Sugar. Good Morning. . Make sure to check out the Twin Lions Cocktail book by going to the link in our bio. There you’ll find recipes to this and many other drinks for you to make, recreate, and enjoy. . #suffolkarms #cocktailsofsuffolk #suffolkcocktails #twinlions #DukeofSuffolk
A post shared by Suffolk Arms (@suffolkarms) on Sep 25, 2017 at 4:14pm PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.