Papilles joins Manhattan’s lively East Village neighborhood as a destination for unfussy French fare, run by a young, up-and-coming French-born chef.
On a busy strip of East Seventh Street is teeny French restaurant Papilles. Squeezed among East Village walk-ups, packed bars and niche boutiques, the restaurant almost feels out of place – an oasis of French cuisine in a sea of grimy streets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At the helm of Papilles is chef and owner Andrea Calstier. Raised in Marseille, France, Calstier was always surrounded by food. He’d watch his mother and grandmother work in tandem in the kitchen, and he would often accompany his father to fishmongers and markets, developing an early appreciation for fresh produce.
“It became obvious to me very quickly that the kitchen would be my life and career,” he says.
After working as a cook in France and at the two-Michelin-star Daniel on the Upper East Side, the 24-year-old chef decided to open his own restaurant. Calstier teamed up with wife Elena Oliver, who manages the marketing side of the business, and close friend Nicolas Thoni, who operates as the resident mixologist.
Despite his young age, Calstier isn’t concerned that people will write him off as an inexperienced chef.
“What I’m really trying to prove is that maturity and consistency are not always related to age,” he says. “I’m not saying that I have all of the experience needed. There are obviously some things missing, but that lack of knowledge sometimes is as well what is giving me the motivation to learn and grow every day as a chef.”
Papilles, which opened in June 2018, has emerged as a destination for Calstier’s style, which he calls cuisine vagabonde. Calstier explains that this type of cuisine provides him with the opportunity to wield ingredients from around the world, all while consistently employing his French background and culinary techniques.
“Our priority is to propose quality dishes made with peak-season products as local as we can,” he says. “Our focus is on food and cooking that is made responsibly and of high quality.”
The menu changes often but is consistently small, dotted with only a handful of appetizers, mains and desserts. Small plates include wedges of pink and yellow beets, piped rounds of huckleberry coulis and hazelnuts, and snails hiding among rounds of soft parsley gnocchi. Mains range from seared duck breast to poached red snapper, which are accompanied by a delicate pitcher of beurre blanc or jus to be drizzled tableside. Choose from two desserts: lychee swirled with star anise cream crowning a flaky elderflower biscuit, or dark chocolate ganache cloaking goat’s cheese, speared with chocolate shards. With the menu in mind, Thoni has crafted a cocktail program featuring ingredients often found in the kitchen. Cocktails arrive adorned with slivers of plums or finished off with a swipe of pineapple foam resembling puffy clouds.
Although the food can certainly be classified as French – each dish is beautifully plated and boasts traditional French technique – there’s nothing stuffy or traditionally French about them. And Calstier wants to keep it that way.
“I am trying to take French gastronomy to a new and different level in New York,” he says. “The idea is to make it more affordable and casual than what it is now.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.