Each year approximately 50,000 runners from around the world descend on New York City for the NYC Marathon. The globe’s largest marathon also draws countless spectators who line the streets excitedly cheering as runners stream by.
Unfortunately, large events such as the NYC Marathon can be targets for terrorist attacks. The Boston Marathon was shocked by a pair of bombings in 2013; an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester was attacked in May 2017; and most recently, a terrorist killed 59 and injured 500 more at a Las Vegas country music festival.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the immediate wake of the Vegas attack on Oct. 1, the New York Police Department (NYPD) increased its security presence, particularly at sporting events, including at Yankee Stadium for the New York Yankees playoff games earlier this month.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill assured NYC residents and tourists to continue to go about their daily lives.
“I want to urge everyone who lives and works here, and everyone who visits New York, to keep coming out and enjoying all that our city—this great city—has to offer,” O’Neill said. “New Yorkers do not make decisions based on fear. As we move further into the fall, and into the holiday season, the NYPD will certainly maintain our vigilance. We never stop trying to achieve, and to improve, our overall mission of fighting crime and keeping people safe—and making people feel safe.”
One of the most iconic offerings of New York City is the largest marathon in the world, spanning all five boroughs. The race, held on the first Sunday each November, will host its 47th edition on Nov. 5.
Barbara Ann Morrissey is running the NYC Marathon for the 25th time. She was there on race day for the 2001 marathon, less than two months following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
“Running NYC right after 9/11 was scary, but waiting on the bridge before the start, hearing everyone singing made my fears lessen,” she said. “Every [race] since, I have thought about possible danger, but we can’t give up on our freedoms.”
Aja Carter, who is running her second NYC Marathon, is equally as confident in the security measures put in place by the NYPD, New York Road Runners (NYRR) and their federal, state, and city agency partners for race day.
“I am not at all concerned about my safety,” Carter said. “I have full faith in the NYPD to secure the event. Granted, something like Vegas is hard to secure since it was so random, but at the same time I don’t believe in worrying about that. God forbid it happens, but there’s nothing I can do to prevent it. So instead of wasting energy in worrying, I put my faith in God and focus on completing the marathon.”
The attacks at concerts and sporting events in recent years has first-time marathon runner Mary Lucas more aware of security and safety at large events, but like most, she’s confident in the security measures put in place for the race.
“I think what happened in Boston in 2013 made everyone more aware, I know I certainly am, of security and became an even more heightened issue in these big races,” Lucas said. “I have full confidence in the strict security procedures around the NYC Marathon, but there is that little part of me that is nervous and knows anything can happen. I don’t let it scare me off though.”
The NYRR said the safety of runners, staff, volunteers, and spectators is always their primary concern. As with all of their events, there are safety and security measures in place both visibly and behind the scenes. Despite all of the measures in place, it’s still up to the runners, spectators, volunteers, and those involved on race day to remain vigilant should something draw their attention.
“Runners should be aware of their surroundings,” said Chris Weiller, NYRR Senior Vice President of Media and Public Relations. “If they see an unattended object or people that may look out of place, they should call it to the attention of the nearest race official or police officer.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.