It claims its technique – which involves electric currents and facial “flicking” – improves skin’s texture and muscle tone without surgery. But is FaceGym worth the hype?
Among New York women of a certain age and income bracket, cosmetic tweaks are commonplace. So are the associated horror stories of Botox or fillers gone awry. Enter FaceGym – a concept that aims to lift and strengthen the muscles of the face for a non-invasive lift.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Unlike your average facial, which is essentially a process of slathering the skin with as many different products as possible, FaceGym focuses on the anatomy of the face. Using the same physical arc as your average exercise class – a warm-up, cardio, strength portion and relaxing cooldown – its aim is to target the 40-plus underused muscles of the face, giving it a more toned and lifted appearance.
FaceGym founder Inge Theron is a bona fide health and beauty expert. Besides launching her own company, she pens the popular Financial Times column ‘Chronicles of a Spa Junkie’ – testing fitness classes, spas, detoxes and anti-ageing treatments with a skeptical approach. On one such assignment, a face-lifting procedure left her housebound. It was then that she began searching for a way to get similar results without the risk, and the FaceGym technique was born.
Theron now has two studios in London, plus a New York location that opened in spring of 2018, on Saks Fifth Avenue’s shiny new beauty floor. I arrived there one afternoon to experience the $95 Signature Electrical, which employs FaceGym’s branded skincare products, facial massage and tactically applied electric currents for immediately visible results.
Like all good workouts, a session at FaceGym begins with a light warm-up. My trainer helped me limber up by rolling a small red ball – not unlike a shrunken version of the ones used in pilates class – across my cheeks, jawline and forehead. Its rubbery texture caught the flesh and maneuvered it upwards, lifting and loosening as it went.
This was followed by the cardio portion of the facial – a vigorous flicking motion that gets the circulation pumping – and a strength-building procedure that was equally intense. First the trainer applied what felt like deep tissue massage to my delicate facial muscles, working them with her fingertips until they relented and softened. Then she broke out the Pure Lift device – an electrical wand that uses currents to contract the face in a series of twitches that were sometimes ticklish, occasionally borderline painful.
My session finished with gua sha – a flat tool made from cool jade that’s used to gently lengthen the muscles and smooth the skin.
FaceGym isn’t a passive self-care treatment – it’s full of weird sensations, not all of which are pleasant, and it left my jaw muscles feeling a little sore for a couple of days afterwards. That being said, post-workout I could see an instant difference – reduced puffiness, a clear lift and a glow that made make-up feel unnecessary for the rest of the afternoon. If only there was an exercise class that could promise the same.
Culture Trip was the guest of FaceGym.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.