New Yorkers have been devouring sushi since the 1960s when one New York Times writer called the dish a fleeting trend. Today, that so-called trend has evolved. Making up almost one-fifth of New York’s Michelin-star establishments, Japanese restaurants are now pillars of the city’s world-famous dining scene. Here are the best Japanese restaurants in New York City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t judge a ramen spot by its size; this small slurp shop is home to a huge talent. Credited in his home country of Japan as one of just four ‘Ramen Gods,’ chef Shigetoshi Nakamura has joined forces with another ramen great, Sun Noodle, to deliver rave-worthy ramen to American eaters. At Nakamura, vegan truffle miso, tontoro pork and more ramen varieties are enjoyed with abandon.
When scouring the city for the best Japanese restaurants, the uptown area of Harlem may not immediately spring to mind. With locations in West Harlem and Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Jin Ramen is about to change that. Serving the richest of Japan’s “top three styles of ramen,” Hakata, Jin boasts offerings outside of what you’ll find at a standard slurp shop. Green coconut Thai curry, kimchi and adobo-braised pork belly are just a sampling of the spot’s out-there ramen options.
Shuko is not your average sushi restaurant. The omakase-only menu created by Masa Columbus Circle alums Nick Kim and Jimmy Lau involves up to 27 courses, including as many as 18 sushi pieces. Shuko’s sushi kaiseki experience, which comes with the option of adding wine, sake and spirit pairings, is priced at $195, while featured ingredients such as toro caviar and pickled persimmon taste priceless.
Sushi of Gari
At the 21-year-old Sushi of Gari, every bite is crafted. The Upper East Side mainstay (today, Gari boasts six concepts across New York, Tokyo and Los Angeles) dresses each sushi piece with the perfect amount of sauce and toppings, including escargot herb butter, prosciutto and white truffle oil.
For a romantic night out, dine at Zenkichi. A meal at this “modern Japanese brasserie” is the borough’s ultimate aphrodisiac, thanks to its covered private booths and excellent service. Dishes like sweet duck salad and dark chocolate pudding with roasted walnuts beg to be shared.
Impress a sushi connoisseur by bringing them to 15 East. The Michelin-rated restaurant takes its sushi seriously, crafting bites with its signature slow-poached octopus and uni and tuna flights. Casual sushi lovers looking for spicy mayo or JB tempura rolls will be disappointed here, though the upscale eatery’s popular omakase is a great option.
Sushi Seki has amassed a devoted following of New York City’s most revered chefs, including Eric Ripert and Daniel Boulud. An extensive wine list and late closing time (2:30am) set Seki apart immediately, but it’s the masterful sushi and sashimi, such as Snow Crab California rolls and raw mirugai, that make this eatery worth trying.
Providing top-rated cuisine in a casual environment, Sobaya offers many dishes to choose from. Its menu includes 28 soba varieties as well as classic Japanese dishes, such as donburi. In fact, simpler bowls featuring nori and fried bean curd shine particularly bright here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.