When it opened in May 2018, Our/New York Vodka Distillery & Bar became the first legal distillery in Manhattan in nearly 100 years.
This global vodka has a local flair, inspired by the city. From the cool hues of the walls to the simple, yet elegant barback—inspired by a nearby cast-iron building—Our/New York Distillery & Bar, located in Chelsea, looks and feels like New York. It includes a tasting room, bar, and shop, supplying the 80-proof vodka distilled on-site.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Even the vodka is 60% New York tap water, the same stuff that makes the city’s pizza and bagels famous. The novelist Sergio de la Pava wrote in an article for the Wall Street Journal, “Our/New York is the smoothest, best-tasting vodka I have ever poured. I guess it’s floral and fruity and whatever, but it also just goes down so easily, easier than anything 80 proof has any right to.”
The parent company, Our/Vodka, is a global brand with locations in seven cities worldwide. While they all use the same recipe, each city’s vodka is unique, produced by local entrepreneurs with local ingredients.
Our/Vodka’s team tapped Dave Ortiz, an artist known for running skatewear shops, to run the Manhattan distillery. Ortiz had no prior distillery experience, but as one of the first employees of the Zoo York brand, he knew how to sell New York.
New York is at the heart of the distillery’s interior design. Along with the barback, which is built from reclaimed Brooklyn wood, the wall colors are visual cues to the street, sky, and sidewalk.
“Three elements that every New Yorker sees, even when they’re looking at their phones,” says Ortiz. The drippy, gritty texture of the paint suggests his background in street art.
Our/Vodka initially planned to open its second location in New York in 2013. But it soon realized that building a distillery in the heavily populated and regulated Manhattan meant jumping through a number of hoops, including liquor licenses to fire codes. According to a press release, it took five years and 220 meetings with different authorities for Our/New York to open. It’s easy, then, to see how it took so long for Manhattan to get a distillery, though there’s been a rollback of state alcohol production laws in recent years to allow for distilleries in other boroughs.
After all that, Our/New York is determined to connect with New Yorkers, and not just through themed cocktails like its Empire Martini. For Ortiz, “It’s just working with New Yorkers, having events for different local people.” He hopes that suppliers like Flatbush’s Hunger Pang, which provides the bar’s snacks, and nearby startups will help elevate the distillery’s brand.
Certainly, the word is starting to spread online, with Cindy T. on Yelp saying, “The bartender checked in a couple of times and seemed watchful of people’s reactions. I take that as a sign of the good care that went into our drinks,” and Abbe D on TimeOut New York calling it, “Perfect for after-work drinks or a fun weekend spot.” A sign of good things to come.
Our/New York Distillery & Bar is now open at 151 West 26th St, New York, NY 10001, and is available for tours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.