Traditionally, skiers and snowboarders blazing down the mountainside are wearing bright puffy jackets, thick pants, fuzzy hats, gloves, and goggles fit with colorful lenses.
For two days each year, visitors to Hunter Mountain will see a different sight racing downhill: skiers in firefighter uniforms.
The annual FDNY Firefighters Ski Race takes place in upstate New York, with proceeds benefitting the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation for the past 25 years. Prior to that, money raised went to the Uniformed Firefighters Association Widows and Children’s Fund.
“This race has become a tradition for the members of the FDNY and a big contributor for the Firefighters Burn Center Foundation,” said retired FDNY Lt. and race organizer Joe Jove. “It’s a cause that is very dear to the hearts of all our firefighters.”
The event, which celebrated its 45th anniversary in January, was inaugurated in 1973 when a group of FDNY firefighters were enjoying the slopes at Hunter Mountain. Looking for a greater test, they challenged some of the firefighters of the Hunter Mountain Fire Department to a friendly race.
Except there was a catch.
Each fire department would field a team of five members, who would race downhill wearing helmets and turn-out coats while holding onto a 50-foot fire hose through a slalom course. Fastest time wins.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Word of the event began to spread as each year passed, drawing more and more firehouses and firefighters into competition. There was even a year when a record 243 five-person teams competed, resulting in more than 1,200 total participants.
“The passion and enthusiasm on the mountain is equal to the passion and enthusiasm for helping each other,” said Bill Leahy, New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation president. “It’s a unique experience and a unique event. It’s a different type of fundraising opportunity; it’s not just about raising money and awareness, but also about renewing and strengthening the bonds among the firefighter community.”
The event has raised more than $700,000 since it began its association with the NYFF Burn Center Foundation in 1995.
In 2018, 72 teams competed in the two-day event. The first day is held among the FDNY firefighters, and the second day is a competition open to any interested teams on the East Coast outside of New York City. Engine 63 Ladder 39 located in the Bronx won the fastest ski time, while Engine 80 Ladder 23 on West 139th Street was the winning snowboard team.
FDNY Ski Race Rules
— A team consists of five members wearing turn-out gear, skiing a GS (single run) course.
— At least three members, completing all gates, must finish the race to qualify.
— Five-second penalty for each member who does not finish.
— Members who fall may catch up with their team, providing they ski all gates and are holding hose at finish line.
— Five-second penalty for missing item. No penalty for dropped helmet after start of race. (Retiree teams do not need turnout gear.)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.