Living in New York can become somewhat pricey, so this list of inexpensive rehearsal spaces will come in handy when you need a place to rehearse a scene or try out a new monologue.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dixon Place is a non-profit organization that provides a space for ‘literary and performing artists to create and develop new works…’ Starting at just $10 an hour for rehearsal space, this downtown location is perfect for anyone wanting to grab a delicious bite to eat after rehearsal, as it’s right next to Little Italy.
Love the Lower East Side? Then Wow Café is the perfect place for you to rehearse. Space rental starts at just $15 an hour. Wow Café Theatre is a member of The Fourth Arts Block: ‘the only cultural district in Manhattan’. They are also a part of the Compass for Change: ‘The NYC Online Activist Portal’. When you rent rehearsal space from Wow Café Theatre, you will be supporting their various women’s empowerment programs and performances.
HERE Arts Center
HERE Arts Center is all about nurturing ‘career artists as they create innovative… live performance in theatre, dance, music, puppetry, media and visual art.’ HERE Arts Center offers residency for artists as well as hourly rehearsal space. There are two spaces available for hourly rental at HERE Arts Center: The Main Stage Theatre and the Dorothy B. Williams Theatre, which is only $15 an hour.
A.R.T./New York (Alliance of Resident Theatres)
A.R.T./New York is home to numerous Resident Artist Theatres and Artistic Companies in NYC. The 520 building is easily accessible as it’s only a few minutes walking distance from New York Penn Station. There are five versatile rehearsal studios at the Space ranging from $16 an hour to $26 an hour. The largest rehearsal space, The Bruce Mitchell Room, is a multi-purpose space and is large enough to host rehearsals, board meetings and small events such as a staged reading.
The 520 Building is home to Ripley-Grier Studios as well. Starting at just $19 an hour, Ripley-Grier is complete with voice-over studios, a café and a shop. There are multiple floors and studio spaces available and each range in size and price. Almost all studios include a piano as well. There’s always something happening at Ripley-Grier, whether it’s dance classes, a workshop or students getting together to rehearse.
Cap 21 Studios (Collaborative Arts Project)
Founded in 1993 by Frank and Eliza Ventura, CAP 21 strives to ‘create a home where theatre artists can bring their work to life…’ Studio space rental ranges from $20 an hour to $35 an hour depending on which studio you choose. CAP 21 is more than just a studio space, however. CAP 21 is a professional theatre company with a conservatory whose goal is to ‘create programs that achieve substantial and lasting contributions to the future of the arts.’
Theatrelab is open 9AM – 11PM daily and houses three white-box spaces. Theatrelab is not only great for rehearsals, but their spaces can be used for workshops, performances, visual art exhibitions, photo shoots and more. There’s a gallery, a studio and a theatre with a complete lighting and sound set up. Prices for all three spaces vary, but for rehearsal you’ll only spend between $20 and $35 an hour.
The Player’s Theatre Rehearsal Lofts
Located in Greenwich Village, The Player’s Theatre is home to a main-stage Off-Broadway theatre, an Off-Off Broadway Black-Box theatre, four rehearsal spaces, an office suite and Cafe Wha?. The four rehearsal spaces are available Monday – Friday, and, if you’re in before 4pm, they could only run you $10 – $15. After 4pm, however, the price varies between $25 and $35 an hour with piano options.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.