You can find bars, pubs, taverns, and speakeasies on every corner in New York City, and with this great abundance of choices, you could easily explore a new happy hour each day. Luckily, we’ve done all the dirty work for you. Here, we profile 10 unmissable signature cocktails in New York.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Manhattan at the Joe Allen Restaurant
Folklore says this whiskey cocktail was first created at the Manhattan Club in 1870, although other variations were concocted throughout the Manhattan region. Joe Allen Restaurant has been open in the Theater District since the 1960s, and continues to be a great spot for pre or post-show drinks. Catering to theater-goers and other patrons, this bustling venue is ideal for happy hour, and their Manhattan is a perfect version of this standard.
The ‘Penicillin’ at Attaboy
Time to take your medicine! The ‘Penicillin’ was created in 2005 by mixologist Sam Ross from Milk and Honey, who combined Scotch with honey, lime, and ginger to create a memorable beverage. Although Milk and Honey closed in 2012, baratenders Ross and McIlroy reopened it the following year under the new name, Attaboy – a speakeasy-style spot mixing up creative concoctions alongside classic cocktails.
Martinis at Smoke Jazz Bar
In true Mad Men style, New York businessmen established the three-martini lunch, so New York City is the perfect spot to enjoy this iconic American cocktail. Smoke, an intimate space for live jazz music, fosters the perfect atmosphere in which to indulge in their signature pepper-infused vodka martini with blue cheese-stuffed olives.
The Classic Old Fashioned at Rye Restaurant
Leave the hustle and bustle of Manhattan behind and head to this neighborhood spot in Brooklyn to whet your whiskey whistle with an Old Fashioned at Rye Restaurant. Serving up delicious, no-nonsense food and drinks, Rye is a great local bar and restaurant, and their Old Fashioned will have you returning time and time again.
A Cognac at The Brandy Library
Not your typical study hall spot, this library is stocked with hard-to-find spirits alongside your favorite classic cocktails. The Brandy Library exhibits rare brandy and whiskey bottles lining the shelves like rows of reference books. It’s a perfect spot to sneak away for a nightcap or to brush up on your knowledge by attending their ‘Spirit School.’
The ‘Red Snapper’ at The King Cole
A New York City weekend staple, brunch wouldn’t be complete without a Bloody Mary at the table. Originally named The Red Snapper, King Cole is where this drink was envisioned, so head straight to the source for an authentic New York brunch. This isn’t your typical diner Bloody Mary; these morning tipples are $23 a glass, but are certainly worth each penny. Put on your Sunday best and pull up a seat at the bar. Be sure to take a look at the stunning mural – it’s a massive, original Maxfield Parrish.
A Cranberry Daiquiri at Gramercy Tavern
A twist on the beachy classic, the tartness of the fresh cranberry makes for a unique and tasty interpretation of the sweet and fruity original. Much like their food menu, Gramercy Tavern changes their specialty cocktails seasonally, so come often to taste what’s new. They’re located in the Flatiron District, so make this a mid-day stop on your iconic New York City architecture tour.
Margaritas at Pulqueria
Don’t wait for Cinco de Mayo to roll around – you can get your tequila fix any day of the year at Pulqueria. This restaurant serves up authentic Mexican food and drinks inspired by the culture of Mexico City. Pulqueria’s atmosphere is vibrant and fun, so if you are feeling adventurous, break free from the ordinary and taste their ‘Pulque,’ an agave-based drink dubbed ‘the nectar of the gods.’
Just about anything at The Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog
The Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog has been voted the ‘Best bar in the world,’ and when it comes to a craft cocktail, they mean business. The cocktail menu isn’t a piece of paper with a drinks list – it’s a complete, bound book that is categorized by shaken versus stirred cocktails alongside seasonal suggestions. It’s a spot to squeeze in with rest of the group and have a few rounds until you find your favorites. They also have a dry goods grocery as well as their taproom or parlor, and the pub fare is a tasty as their drinks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.