Whether you plan on camping, living on four wheels, or in the lap of luxury on your Nevada holiday, these places to stay will tick your boxes.
Wild and untouched, Great Basin National Park is made for adventure. From skiing in winter, to hiking through ancient bristlecones in summer, there’s plenty to do year-round. For budding spelunkers, the Lehman Caves are an otherworldly underground grotto of dramatic stalactites, while astronomers need only turn their eyes upward at night for some of the clearest constellation views in the country. Whatever you do, these hotels will provide a restful base – bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just outside Great Basin National Park, Hidden Canyon is one for lovers of wilderness. Surrounded by 375 acres (152ha) of juniper, pinyon pine and desert sage brush, your only neighbors here are animals – mule deer, wild turkeys and golden eagles. You’ll want to get out and explore, of course, but when it’s time to retire, you’ll find a heated outdoor pool, a fantastic family games room, and a central courtyard and patio with an outdoor barbecue.
Stargazer Inn does as its name promises, giving you a private patio outside your room from which to admire the constellations glittering across Great Basin’s jet-black skies. What’s more, you won’t need to set the alarm early after staying up late, as the entrance to the national park is just six minutes’ drive away. After a day of adventure, return to a hearty charcuterie board and a glass of craft beer at on-site restaurant Kerouac’s.
Can’t decide between camping, RV life or the simple comforts of a motel? This cute, family-run business keeps your options open. Just six miles (10km) from the park entrance, there are tent pitches beneath shady elm trees, RV hook-ups and classic motel rooms with coffee-makers, TVs and microwaves. For everything else, head into the main lodge building, where you’ll find bath and shower facilities, a coin laundry and games of pool, shuffleboard and darts.
This historic six-story hotel and gambling hall was founded during the prohibition era. Today, Hotel Nevada features modern rooms and suites, a full-service bar, and an assortment of slot machines. Home to the only 24-hour full-service restaurant in town, the on-site venue serves breakfast, lunch and dinner specials. There’s also a 24-hour open bar with an ever-changing selection of craft beers.
Golfers will love the Ramada, as it’s located within putting distance of the 18-hole White Pine course. Rooms are fuss-free and traditional, with wood furniture and a brown-beige color scheme. But you haven’t come out here for the decor. Much more interesting is the nearby Ely Renaissance Village museum, where a cluster of restored 1900s houses present what life would have looked like in the Ely of yesteryear.
The Rustic Inn Motel is a family-friendly venue not far from the Nevada Northern Railway Museum and the East Ely Railroad Depot Museum. Rooms are warm and welcoming, if on the simple side, with springy queen beds and jazzy quilts. A private garden area with picnic benches and lounger chairs makes for a great spot to shoot the breeze with a beer or two after a long day’s hiking.
Right in the heart of Ely, this low-key motel comes with high-scoring views of both the Schell Creek and Egan mountain ranges. Rooms are unambiguously old-school, with flock wallpaper, frilly quilts, and gold-framed landscape prints above the bedheads. A complimentary continental breakfast, free parking, and coin-operated laundry make the room rates exceptionally wallet-friendly.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.