Sin City is much more than the Strip, from underground theaters to fusion restaurants, and dive bars to curiosity shops.
Many Las Vegas visitors find themselves trapped along Las Vegas Boulevard, lost in giant casinos and blinding signage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
But for those who prefer to take the occasional step off the beaten path, there are all manner of underground movie theaters, graffiti-adorned bars, multi-cuisine fusion restaurants and even a place to buy a human skull. Here’s a dozen spots that are definitely not Vegas as usual.
Most gift shops tend towards the sweet or at least the silly: Las Vegas Oddities goes straight for the strange. The store specializes in items like a pendant made from a cross-section of a human femur, or an intricate shadowbox of a miniature murder scene. If you need goth woodcuts or vintage pinup photos, Soviet-era children’s toys or steampunk jewelry, they can help you out here.
Located on the far west side of Las Vegas, Americana offers creative dishes in a scenic location. The restaurant sits on the side of a man-made lake, where swans, ducks, and canopied boats drift past. Americana’s menu frequently changes with the seasons and unique takes on traditional dishes are a specialty—calamari is poached and grilled, served with hints of sausage and pepper, while fettuccine is topped with a poached egg dusted with edible gold. A half-price happy hour and all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch offer more opportunities for delicious.
One of Las Vegas’ oldest gay bars, Badlands Saloon always stayed true to its creed of a warm welcome and a strong pour. The western-themed watering hole is located in the Commercial Center, near a number of restaurants and other nightspots. Badlands hosts drag shows, bingo and trivia nights, but it’s also a fine place to have a relaxed cocktail in the late afternoon or early evening.
Las Vegas is a place where all track of time can be lost, and perhaps the most hours have been frittered away at the Double Down Saloon. The beloved punk-rock watering hole turned 25 last year and has gone from questionable hangout to Travel Channel-featured institution. The walls are covered in graffiti-ed murals, the bar serves Ass Juice and Bacon Martini’s alongside the usual beers and shots, and the entertainment ranges from hardcore bands to blues guitarists to burlesque acts to live radio shows. But perhaps the best entertainment comes from the stories swapped by an ‘only-in-Vegas’ cast of regulars.
Las Vegas’ nerd clubhouse, the Sci-Fi Center is where you can buy a comic, see a movie, watch a burlesque show and mingle with like-minded folk. It hosts screenings of cult and grindhouse films, as well as binge-watch TV shows. The Cinemondays program stresses classic and foreign films; there is also a monthly B-movie-themed burlesque show and occasional music performances.
One of Vegas’ most beloved dive bars, the Huntridge Tavern has been pouring 24 hours a day for over five decades. The red velvet wallpaper, beer signage and vinyl booths with clunky video poker machines remain largely unchanged. A steady stream of regulars come in at all hours for conversation and a cold one.
For lovers of vinyl, 11th Street Records is mecca indeed. Located at the far end of Fremont Street, the store stocks both new and vintage albums and singles—whether you seek the latest from local hero Shamir, a replacement for your worn-out disc of the Stones’ Let It Bleed or a signed copy of Television’s Marquee Moon. National Southwest Recording is an in-house studio where acts including the Killers and Anti-Flag have recorded.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.