The Las Vegas dining scene offers everything from high-end Michelin-star dishes to humble diners serving cheap comfort foods – but the city’s classic shrimp cocktail has outstripped them all to become an enduring part of the city’s history.
There’s a timeless quality to the shrimp cocktail – the most popular appetizer in the US from the mid-’60s until the late ’80s, the taste of which echos wedding breakfasts and cocktail parties of days gone by. The simple dish consists of cooked shrimp, chilled and served in a parfait glass along with a lemon wedge and cocktail sauce. Because there are so few ingredients in a shrimp cocktail, the quality is largely determined by the freshness of the shrimp and whether or not the sauce – which is usually a mixture of ketchup, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire and lemon – is homemade. Like Las Vegas itself, when it’s right, it’s right.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
History of the shrimp cocktail
Las Vegas‘s love affair with the shrimp cocktail dates back only as far as the late 1950s – though in the fast-paced land of casino implosions and infinite rebranding, it might as well be the dawn of time. It was brought to Sin City in 1959 by Italian-American businessman Italo Ghelfi, who was a managing partner at the Golden Gate Casino, now the oldest casino in Las Vegas. Ghelfi – who went on to manage the property for four decades – priced the dish at 50 cents, and unwittingly started a culinary trend that would come to be known for its place in Las Vegas history.
Throughout the years since, the dish continued to enjoy immense popularity, with the casino selling as many as 2,000 shrimp cocktails a day. In true Las Vegas style, the Golden Gate Casino celebrated the sale of its 25 millionth shrimp cocktail in 1991, at a lavish soirée with former mayors of the city in attendance. It was then that the price was raised for the first time in more than 40 years, to 99 cents.
In 2017, following a 106-hour closure for renovations at the Golden Gate, Du-Par’s – the 24-hour diner that had been serving the famous shrimp cocktail since 2010 – abruptly closed. As of today, the original Las Vegas shrimp cocktail, which was heralded for its secret-recipe cocktail sauce, is no longer sold at the Golden Gate Casino. Nevertheless, the property still owns the secret recipe, and it’s rumoured there are plans to revive the tradition with the opening of a new restaurant in the coming years.
The shrimp cocktail in Las Vegas today
Despite the absence of the original shrimp cocktail, the dish is still as popular as ever in Las Vegas. According to Reader’s Digest, the city goes through 60,000 pounds of shrimp a day.
The dish has come a long way since its launch. It now appears on the menu of almost every restaurant in the city, with some even offering it 24 hours a day, just as Du-Par’s once did. If you’re looking for the best, a good bet is Oyster Bar at Palace Station, located just off the Strip: a tiny 24-hour spot in the middle of the casino floor that won the ‘Best of Las Vegas Gold Award 2018’ for the best shrimp cocktail in the city. While the dish is a little pricier here, it remains one of the most popular locations and – you guessed it – is open 24 hours a day.
Another late-night option is Jerry’s Famous Coffee Shop at Jerry’s Nugget Casino, set a little way back from the neon lights of Fremont Street, and offering a great cocktail featuring four jumbo shrimp at a very reasonable price. If you don’t mind venturing a little further out into the valley, it’s also worth checking out the shrimp cocktail at Shucks Tavern & Oyster Bar, a 24-hour restaurant on the westside.
The shrimp cocktail is indicative of a time in Las Vegas when tourists dressed in sport coats and slinky dresses, ordered martinis and watched jazz crooners in smoky lounges. But as the years have passes, the appetizer’s reach has grown. Now – whether you’re in an evening gown or at a dimly lit neighborhood bar, chowing down on the dish while feeding dollar bills into a video poker machine – the spirit of Sin City’s glamorous heyday lives on through the shrimp cocktail. Italo Ghelfi might have brought the dish to Las Vegas because he was homesick for the fresh seafood he’d left in California, but today the shrimp cocktail is as much a part of the desert as the Golden Gate Casino is a part of Las Vegas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.