Bozeman, Montana, has blossomed in popularity in recent years. With its growing menu for foodies, thriving local music scene and outdoor wonders, it’s easy to see why. Explore the surrounding mountain ranges filled with ski areas, hiking trails, ice-climbing routes and wildlife from the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. These hotels and places to stay in Bozeman – bookable on Culture Trip – recall the Old West history of the town and will inspire you to get out and explore places such as the Bridger Bowl and Big Sky ski resorts.
The Best Western Plus GranTree Inn rocks – just 10 minutes from the Museum of the Rockies, less than 2mi (3km) from Gibson Acoustic and only an hour from Yellowstone National Park. When you return to this hotel in Bozeman, settle in the hot tub for a long soak or order a drink from the restaurant – on the rocks, of course.
The Lewis and Clark Motel has a library full of books and games, which will come in handy when you need a day off from exploring the natural wonders in Montana. Indeed, you can kick back and relax in nearly every area at this Bozeman hotel. In addition to the indoor pool and hot tub, infrared sauna and eucalyptus steam room, there’s a dedicated “relaxation space.” Pause your relaxation for nothing, except, perhaps, to walk next door to Sweet Peaks Ice Cream for a treat.
With Big Sky and Yellowstone nearby, it’s all too easy to use Residence Inn for a quick overnight stay. If you can keep your caboose in park, though, you’ll see that this pet-friendly hotel presents you with the best of Bozeman right outside. A complimentary breakfast requires no coffee; you’ll perk up when you step into the mountain air filling Lindley Park Center. Stroll downtown until you’re convinced that a dip in the pool and a Netflix binge are acceptable ways to spend a night on vacation.
Getting from the airport to Big Sky and back is effortless at Comfort Suites. The airport shuttle is free, allowing you to get into your room – and, more importantly, the hot tub – quickly. Downtown is a cheap, 10-minute cab ride away. Spend your lazy days warming up on the sun deck or around the bonfire by night. When Big Sky calls, head back to the airport with the shuttle, scoop up a rental car and ride into the wide-open sky for which Montana is so famous.
Weekdays get a whole lot looser at Homewood Suites by Hilton. This Bozeman hotel has an evening social Monday through Thursday that’ll get you mingling with other guests – a great opportunity to see if you can uncover any hidden gems in the area, such as the cat-filled Garden Barn. You’ll have plenty of space in your room if you fancy entertaining. A full kitchen is in every suite, allowing you to meal prep the night before taking a day trip to Yellowstone.
Spacious sitting areas, an outdoor wood-burning fireplace and an on-site coffee shop make a strong case for staying in at the LARK, but the hotel’s real aim is to educate travelers on where to explore. Discover the possibilities in the Map Room, or take a DIY tour of historic downtown. Afterward, settle back in for the night in guest rooms adorned with locally sourced leather, metal and wood furniture, as well as punchy, modern wall graphics designed by local artists.
The Kimpton Armory Hotel opened in August 2020, and in doing so, it revived a historic art deco structure built in 1941 to house the Bozeman National Guard. In-room treats include yoga mats for stretching out tight quads and an honor bar laced with a rotating array of locally selected surprises. Draw from the spirit of the bustling music scene in town by borrowing a Gibson acoustic guitar and picking out a few melodies.
Just a block off Main Street, Element Bozeman lets weary skiers reset with a swim in a saltwater pool before heading downtown. Each room includes a full kitchen for those who want to skip the crowds or crave a quiet evening amid the crisp, clean decor. Grab a muffin from the complimentary grab-and-go breakfast, or pop over to the Cateye Cafe for indulgences such as the Felix, an egg sandwich topped with crispy prosciutto, roasted red pepper aioli, spinach and gouda.
For trips that require a few hours at the laptop before hopping off the chairlift, the SpringHill Suites splits a workspace off from the sleeping area, with a desk so inviting that it’ll cushion the crimp of a working vacation. In-room Keurig coffee machines get the day going, while the on-site bar, Gallatin’s, pours local microbrews for capping off the evening. Bridger Bowl isn’t far, but neither is the Museum of the Rockies, a Smithsonian affiliate, which has one of the largest North American fossil collections, including a Tyrannosaurus rex that towers over visitors.
Convenience is key at the Hilton Garden Inn, a short drive from the Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport and within walking distance of a few restaurants. Additionally, it’s about 18mi (29km) from the 2,000 skiable acres (809ha) and challenging ridge skiing at Bridger Bowl Ski Area. Back at the hotel, satisfy midnight cravings at the 24-hour mini-mart.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Elizabeth Miller.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Why not extend your adventure in Montana and visit Glacier National Park? Read up on the best hotels near the national park, then book your stay on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.