Whether you want to lounge on the shores of Lake Superior, tackle the craft beer scene, visit the 39-room mansion at Glensheen, or immerse yourself in port history at Canal Park, there’s a lot to do in Duluth, Minnesota. With plenty of hotels to choose from – from large resorts to charming inns – here’s our pick of the bunch, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Few places to stay in Duluth offer the history, seclusion, and bliss of Solglimt Lakeshore. It’s the sole bed and breakfast on Duluth’s Lake Superior shores and has a swath of private beach just for guests. If you’re in the market for a more luxurious exclusivity, claim the Oscar Nelson Suite, part of the original 1910 cabin built by the man himself. A thermomasseur tub, gas fireplace, and private deck may not be as old, but they’re endearing all the same.
If you’ve ever wanted to intentionally fall asleep in a historic brewery, Fitger’s Inn gives you a shot (and a chaser). This former 1885 brewery now houses Duluth’s first microbrewery. All rooms have pillow-top beds made especially for the Inn, presumably because a few too many North Country Pale Ales will send you to an early bedtime. No worries on a night curtailed; you’ll have ample time to admire the views of your lakefront room after a cup of Fitger’s Coffee.
On Park Point – a sliver of land jutting into Lake Superior – this inn has fine views over the luxury yachts in the harbor, as well as excellent beach access. Most of its modern rooms have suntrap patio decks, coffee makers, microwaves, and mini-fridges, with jacuzzis available in some suites. The inn has an indoor family center with a pool, plus arcade games for the kids and a craft beer lounge for the grown-ups.
Halfway between the white-sand beaches of Park Point and the elegant public parks of downtown Duluth, this 116-room lodge boasts sublime views over Lake Superior. Benefits include in-room massages, an indoor pool, a gym, and a terrace for lakeside waffles and pastries. For dinner, Canal Park Brewing Company next door serves gourmet burgers and Mexican specialties.
There’s no need to travel more than a mile from this resort on the downtown waterfront, next to the Great Lakes Aquarium and Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. Resort activities include paddle boating, paddle boarding, biking, and pedal carting. If you’re the competitive type, challenge friends to a game of basketball or pickleball. Follow up with steaks and nachos at the on-site Silos Restaurant, then sink into the outdoor hot tub or enjoy a glass of wine around the lakeside firepit.
Just 3mi (5km) from Duluth International Airport, this welcoming inn on Highway 53 is ideally placed for a spot of shopping, with several major malls just opposite. Work up a sweat in the fitness center before plunging into the indoor pool or hot tub. Most rooms have mini-fridges, microwaves, and tea and coffee makers – alternatively, take your java in the dining room with a breakfast of waffles and fresh fruit.
At the foot of the spectacular Aerial Lift Bridge and moments from the 7mi (11km) of sandy beaches lining Park Point, this family-owned inn makes an ideal base to return to after days of swimming and sunbathing. Rooms range from queen-size guest rooms to eight-person townhouses with two whirlpool baths, two fireplaces, and three balconies – two of which overlook the water.
Along Duluth’s Lakewalk – a serene ramble that takes in the lake and the Aerial Lift Bridge – these downtown suites fit all of your needs for a business trip or family weekend. Start the day right with a free cooked breakfast that includes waffles. Keep on top of your exercise regime at the fitness center and indoor pool, or get some work done at the smart in-room desk.
Just off Highway 53, partway between downtown Duluth and the airport, the Hampton Inn is well-placed for shopping and eating at Miller Hill Mall. Get your fitness fix at the gym and pool before making yourself lunch using the microwave and wet bar in your room. Breakfast is served in the sleek dining room and comprises a classic buffet spread of cooked and fresh options.
Water babies will appreciate the Fairfield Inn’s heated pool, not to mention Park Point’s plentiful fishing, sailing, and swimming opportunities right outside. Feast on harbor views from under fresh white sheets – each room also comes with a coffee maker, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a large smart TV. Complimentary breakfasts include omelets and sweetbreads.
Nick Dauk contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.