As one of New England’s busiest – and most historic – train hubs, South Station is a great place to stay near to your adventures through Boston.
South Station is New England’s largest train station, a stately hunk of pink granite built back in 1899. There are multiple hotels around South Station, but we’ve rounded up the best of the bunch – now bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fans of both waterfront and urban hotels will love this grand 80s landmark, facing Rowes Wharf on one side and the city on the other. Take a harbor cruise from the nearby dock or follow the Harbour Walk to the aquarium. This contemporary classic excels in scenic views from all over including light-filled, calming rooms in coastal tones – think duck egg blue and sand. The Rowes Wharf Sea Grille is the place for breakfast feasts including elevated omelets with added asparagus and spinach.
A mid-century modern listed building turned design-led boutique beauty in the lovely restaurant-lined South End district of the city, nudges coastal Back Bay. Spot the historical figures in the lobby pop art mural on your way up to your industrial-chic room – simply styled with layered textures for coziness, black and white city scenes above beds and playful gold letters spelling out songs by Boston bands. Breakfast on oversized muffins and coffee from the lobby cafe as you read up on a Boston classic from the nearby bookshelves.
Neighboring the leafy Public Garden in popular Back Bay – the first public botanic garden in the US – this refined stalwart with a neoclassical façade soothes guests in rooms and suites bathed in soft blues, greys and creams. Families visiting in winter should book a Fireplace suite sleeping four. Dine on the rooftop among the floral, glass-roofed loveliness of Contessa and dish up northern Italian classics, dry-aged florentine steak and weekend brunch staples with an Italian twist – from florentine benedict to carbonara scramble with pancetta and pecorino.
A smart redbrick townhouse hotel among the cobbled, lamp-lit streets of coveted Beacon Hill has uniformly decorated, sleek rooms in dark blue, bright white with brass and leather – some with hill views while others overlook the Charles River. Breakfast in style on Sicilian-style eggs, Spanish tortillas and all-American staples like buckwheat pancakes smothered in sweet, smokey maple syrup. Walk it off with a wander along Charles Street to the Public Garden and admire the architecture as you head en route to Boston Common.
Tucked between the North End and Beacon Hill, this triangular boutique beauty is housed in the landmark Flatiron Building, a five-minute walk from TD Garden. Foodies will love the Italian restaurants close by in the North End and the food stalls in Quincy Market – but you’ll no doubt appreciate the classic bacon, eggs and toast plus saccharine nut and fruit-topped waffles on offer here, too. Industrial-chic rooms are softened with cable-knit throw pillows and plaid bedding – and families or groups will love the two double-bed rooms.
Bright suites with modern, sharp-angled four-poster beds and neat kitchenettes bring this 19th-century corner brownstone – in the Back Bayside of South End – right up to date. Brown is the thing here, perhaps mirroring the New England chocolate available in the lobby. The Museum of Fine Arts and Symphony Hall are both under a mile (1.6km) away so it’s ideal for strolling to after a light breakfast of soft bagels and yogurt served in the lounge.
If none of these takes your fancy, explore hotels in Beacon Hill or feel like a local in one of the best apartments in Boston, now bookable on Culture Trip. You can spend as little as 72 hours in this city by packing in as many of the attractions as you can – you’ll want to continue into the night in these bars and nightclubs to make the most of your trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.