Summer in Boston means more than just sunshine and Sox games. All around New England, breweries and distilleries bust out the big guns for their summer offerings. Seasonal shandies, flavored liquors and fruit-infused lagers all make their way into local bars and liquor stores. With these enticing options, it’s easy to forget about New England’s original craft beverage: hard cider. Full of flavor from crisp local apples, these Massachusetts and Vermont ciders are not to be underestimated. For your summer sipping pleasure, here are the best of New England’s craft ciders.
Downeast Cider House
Downeast Cider House is a local favorite. Brewed riverside in Charlestown, you’ll find Downeast ciders on tap at bars all around the city and state. The company’s sweet-but-not-too-sweet ciders all go down smooth, from the classic Cranberry Blend (5% ABV) to the beloved Original Blend (5% ABV). The Summer Blend (4.5% ABV) is tarter than its all-season counterpart, thanks to a pinch of lemon juice and ginger root added to the recipe. The result is a shandy-like cider that’s lighter in alcohol content than the Original blend but just as delicious – perfect for casual beachside sipping.
Downeast Cider House, 200 Terminal St. Charlestown, MA, USA +1 857 301 8881
Shacksbury is as craft-y as cider comes. Brewed in Shoreham, Vermont, Shacksbury ciders combine apples sourced from local orchards with apples from British orchards. The result is a repertoire of complex ciders with fresh, distinctive tastes. In the style of hard-hitting English ciders, the higher alcohol content of Shacksbury’s Classic blend (6% ABV) makes it “the best pizza cider, ever”. Its dry and flavorful profile perfectly complements summer cuisine; sample a lobster roll or a bucket of fried clams and slip into a sunshine-y mood.
Shacksbury Cider, 1514 VT-74, Shoreham, VT, USA, +1 802 458 0530
Bantam Cider Company
Just as its name implies, Bantam Cider may be small, but its drinks pack a serious punch. The Somerville cider house has proved to be a city favorite since launching in 2012. Bantam’s main blends are all crowd pleasers, but the Wunderkind (6% ABV), the company’s “maiden voyage,” remains the beverage of choice. This Best of Boston cider is fruity and bubbly in all the right ways; its blend of local apples and honey creates a dry but sweet flavor that all cider lovers can agree on.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bantam Cider Company, 40 Merriam Street, Somerville, MA, USA +1 617 299 8600
Like tall tales? So do the folks at Sherborn’s Stormalong Cider. Their company name comes from legendary Northeast seaman Captain Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, a fearless deep-water sailor known for battling sea monsters and downing whole barrels of cider every meal. Stormalong’s ciders all channel this daring figure. The bold and bittersweet Legendary Dry (6.9% ABV) is perfect for both ballgame drinking and kraken slaying while the powerful Grand Banks (9.5% ABV) is whiskey disguised as rich, golden apple cider. Spending 10 long months in oak whiskey barrels gives this cider a distinctively sweet aftertaste you’ll remember long after the season has ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.