Move over, Baltimore. Ocean City is ready to deliver the ultimate Maryland experience, complete with crab cakes, sandcastles and enough Fisher’s popcorn – a local favorite – to fill the Assawoman Bay. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in this charming seaside resort.
Be it the shoreline or boardwalk, you’ll never get sick of strolling up and down the vibrant waterfront in Ocean City – especially if you’re bedding down in one of these hand-picked boltholes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t be bashful – we know that you’ll have one eye on the roulette wheel during your Ocean City stay. Courtyard by Marriott certainly won’t judge you. Indeed, they’re ready to shuttle you down to the Ocean Downs Casino so you can save that lucky dollar for the craps table. Win or lose, you’ll look at the reflections of the city lights twinkling in the surf from the balcony of your king suite and feel you’ve hit the jackpot already.
A 10-minute stroll from the boardwalk and you’re within striking distance of the best sights, sounds and smells in Ocean City – reel in some fish and chips, best eaten with toes in the sand and sea spray as seasoning. Of course, you’re welcome to stay in and slide into a seat at the Marlin Moon Restaurant and Bar, or why not savor the excellent wine list and steaks under the actual moon, with room service delivered to your oceanfront balcony?
There’s something uncanny going on with this slick, contemporary-cool place to stay in Ocean City. With its monochrome, Scandi-inspired interiors, you’ll be half-expecting to catch city views from the balcony – rather than sparkling blue. It has all the mod cons of a city pad too, with a fitness center and heated splash pool. But it’s when the sun sets that this hotel comes to life – join other young, fun-loving guests sipping cocktails in the Re:Mix Lounge, followed closely by live acoustic music and more drinks at the bay-view W XYZ bar.
Brace for impact, as the kids are going to go wild for the Bay Club Resort. Once their bags hit the floor of their bedroom, they’ll run into yours and rush you right outside. The aspiring surfer in you will pull towards the coast, while the thrillseeker will insist that a day under the sun is best spent at Jolly Roger Amusement Park. Is there a compromise? Probably not, but you’ll find some grown-up fun at the Sandbar karaoke lounge after the kids have hit the hay.
Live it up like the good old days at this charming Victorian place to stay in Ocean City. Atlantic House B&B invites you to watch the world go by from the sun-dappled front porch. You’ll be treated to a hearty breakfast buffet in the sunroom, then offered a towel and chair to take down to the beach one block away. Feel free to explore the area away from the sand, too, stopping near the Downtown Recreational Complex to watch skaters tear up the bowl or anglers reel in a fresh catch near the Bayside Boardwalk.
The Lighthouse Club Hotel is a five-minute walk from the beach, but trust us when we say that by the time you’ve gotten settled into a seat by the fireplace, with a glass of wine in hand and those shimmering bay views beyond the window, you’ll want to stay put in your suite. Those looking for something wilder can mix it up for the night by heading to the Lighthouse Club Room.
Oh, say can you see how spectacular the Francis Scott Key Family Resort is – in dawn’s early light, or otherwise? Hum your way into a star-spangled suite that sleeps up to six and unpack your swimsuits immediately. The Caribbean Key Indoor Pool’s 6in (15cm) sloped entry is ideal for your little guppies. Thar be pirates outside at Shipwreck Cove, though, so make sure your little ones are armed for fun at the Sprayground and Peg Leg Putt-Putt golf course.
After a few too many in the four-story tropical atrium in the Princess Royale, you might be convinced you’re in a Caribbean paradise. Even better: you’re in one of the premier resorts in Ocean City, with an award-winning spa and an Olympic-size swimming pool at your disposal. Consider ringing up a few virgin cocktails, though, so you can jump on an electric bike and scout out the best bars around this barrier island.
You’ll find yourself at a crossroads when staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott. It’s where the road meets the shoreline, so you’ll have to decide if your tan is best topped up on Ocean Beach to the north or while walking the Ocean City Boardwalk to the south. Need a little nudge? Mull it over at the poolside tiki bar, where the blazing sunshine and comfy loungers might just make your mind up for you.
Enjoy a little isolated luxury with instant access to all of Ocean City at the Edge on the Isle of Wight Bay. This pint-size hotel packs a big punch of luxury. A dozen uniquely appointed suites featured imported linens and toiletries, and when you aren’t kicking back in the Hang Five Penthouse, you can mingle over drinks in the bayfront club room, then rally up the gang for a night of dancing on the island.
Fancy a dip? Check out the best hotels with pools in Ocean City, or the best beach hotels in Ocean City. Alternatively, have everything at your fingertips in the Old Line State with the best resorts in Maryland.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.