Famed for its crowd-drawing pier, Old Orchard Beach makes for a quintessential New England getaway, combining oceanfront amusement parks, lobster rolls, and a seven-mile stretch of sand that’s perfect for people watching.
From the sandy shores of Old Orchard Beach to the buzzing restaurants along its pier, this charming seaside village is a must for fun-loving sun worshippers with a penchant for seafood and Southern cuisine. On a budget? Your wallet needn’t ruin your plans, as there are quality inns, lodges, and pocket-friendly Old Orchard Beach hotels at every turn, all bookable through Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Travelling on a budget? Fret not – at this motel in Old Orchard Beach, you can still live comfortably, with direct access to the beach and the luxury of an outdoor pool. Rooms at Atlantis Motel range from one-bed studios to oceanfront suites with a kitchenette, plus an outdoor barbecue so you can prepare your own meals. If you feel like downing tools for the night, take a quick detour round the corner to Rocco’s Pizza, which serves up some of the cheesiest pizzas in town.
With colorful Adirondack beach chairs on the sand, plus an ice-cream and kite stand in the lobby, there’s a laidback Miami vibe at the sun-drenched Ocean Walk Hotel, near the quieter end of Old Orchard Beach. Flat-screen TVs, kitchens and shared balconies or patios, many with ocean views, grace the studios and one-bedroom suites. While elsewhere, there are barbecue grills and a heated indoor pool if you fancy a dip after an exhausting day of sunbathing.
Alouette Beach Resort is top choice for both holidaymakers and business travellers, thanks to its premier beachfront location, indoor and outdoor pool, and health club. Be it a beach house, economy room, pet-friendly pad or ocean-view luxury suite with fireplace and balcony, there’s something for all budgets at this Old Orchard Beach resort. As a rite of passage, spend the morning at the in-house cafe, which whips up an excellent full breakfast.
Right in the middle of Old Orchard Beach, this hotel has everything you could want from this seaside village is within walking distance: restaurants, cocktail bars and live music. Rooms cater for all group sizes and budgets but, if you’re feeling flush, splash out on a Jacuzzi room with ocean views and easy access to the motel’s outdoor-heated pool. Celebrating a special occasion? Phone ahead and the staff will prepare a unique flower arrangement for your arrival.
As close as you can get to Maine’s most popular beach, this family-friendly beachfront hotel in Old Orchard Beach has 139 air-conditioned rooms, each with a private deck and huge cable TV. They’re also equipped with a kitchenette with refrigerator, stove and sink, so you can make a picnic lunch to take to the beach. The star of the show is the outdoor mineral pool with spa, complete with jets in the children’s area and four surrounding waterfalls.
The clue’s in the name – it’s the hospitable staff that make your stay at Friendship Oceanfront Suites. That, and its refreshing saltwater pool, free daily maid service, complimentary coffee and prime location just steps from the ocean. Take your pick from two-room suites and spacious beach condos with either king or twin beds. This family-run hotel is also just a short drive to Maine’s renowned lighthouses and the famous Portland’s Old Port, too, if a little culture tickles your fancy.
Dating back to the late 18th century and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this charming bed and breakfast in Old Orchard Beach is the oldest-known holiday accommodation in town, with old-world appeal in spades. Expect clean and comfortable rooms with complimentary breakfast and free Wi-Fi. Close to the action, yet hidden away to allow for some peace and quiet, we recommend staying for the vintage decor alone.
Atlantic Ocean Suites is the motel of choice for larger families – the huge suites come with a full kitchen and lounge area. You’re a stone’s throw from the beach and the many bars on the pier, with restaurants and nightlife options a short hop away. There’s also an indoor pool, if you’d prefer to keep the sand off your clothes. Directly across the road, the Landmark restaurant comes highly recommended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.