New Orleans has hundreds of cocktail bars that combine handcrafted drinks with exciting experiences. With so many to choose from, we’ve put together a list of suggestions for places to visit, featuring bars and lounges that have struck a chord with tourists and locals alike.
Whether you’re looking for a fancy night of ambience, a sultry scene to end a date night, or a casual atmosphere for after-work socializing, New Orleans’ cocktail scene offers something for everyone. Many are located inside historic buildings, with architectural bones that are still visible. Grab a lobster taco as you imbibe some of the most creative and delicious cocktails that New Orleans has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This French Quarter bar, located inside the Mazarin Hotel, takes its name from the 21st Amendment, through which the sale and consumption of alcohol became legal once again in the 1930s after Prohibition. It is the entryway into La Louisiane, a meeting and event venue within a building that dates back to 1837. Hand-crafted cocktails such as the penicillin are the perfect accompaniment to the bar’s evenings of live music.
Located in the city’s historic Warehouse District, this loungey spot offers small plates of lobster tacos and shrimp spring rolls. The dim lights and beautiful setting bring an intimate feel to this newly renovated space. This is definitely a fun spot to go to in groups, and happy hour is daily from 4pm-8pm. Expect lots of energy during Saints games and other events.
Enjoy the breeze of spring out in the courtyard at this award-winning bar. Cure’s delicious cocktails are beautifully presented, showcasing the time and effort that the staff puts into each drink. Outside is the hip Freret Street, home to blocks of shopping, eateries and entertainment. If you don’t know where you are going, Cure is easy to miss, as there’s no signage and the walled-up brick exterior is far from the typical bar look. Keep an eye out for it when you pass by.
Kajun’s stands tall in the ongoing gentrification of the Bywater and Marigny areas of New Orleans. You will find it nestled on a stretch of the lively St Claude block, drawing in karaoke enthusiasts. With an open space that has a stage for nightly karaoke and different events, you can escape the bar area for a smoke or to simply have a conversation on the seated patio outside.
Bar Marilou is a Warehouse District favorite with a vibrant, French-inspired design. Run by a French hospitality group with numerous bars in Paris, Marilou is located inside the former library of the historic city hall annex building. Books line the walls of this ultra chic hangout that has an extensive menu of cocktails. The room is bright red with eccentric floor decor. The bar also has a secret door behind a bookcase, which leads to a more private space at which to drink and eat.
Double Dealer gives a nod to the Prohibition era, with a secluded entrance down a long ramp towards the bar. It’s situated underneath the Orpheum Theatre, a centuries-old space that has featured Vaudeville acts, concerts and numerous theatrical productions. The bar’s theatrical aesthetics pay homage to the theatre above, as well as featuring luxurious booths with speakeasy vibes and private corner spaces away from the crowd. Drinks are named after stories and poems from the original Double Dealer magazine, from which the bar takes its name.
New Orleans locals love a garden. Bayou Beer Garden is a large space where most people find themselves outside on two large decks, with multiple seating options for large and small groups. During crawfish season, plates of potatoes, crawfish and corn are given out, and the area can get rather packed. Menu items include both small bites and heftily portioned choices to fill you up. The bar is ideal for groups as well as happy-hour lovers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.