A lively university city, Lawrence is home to must-visit museums and the bustle of Massachusetts Street, filled with cafés, shops and restaurants. The city’s dining scene too is an exciting mix of all-American flavours and international influence. From vegan eateries serving Asian-style food to excellent gastropubs, here are ten of the best dining spots in Lawrence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Free State Brewing Company
A local legend and pioneer of craft beer in the area, the Free State Brewing Company has been one of the most popular dining and drinking venues in Lawrence since opening in 1989. Exposed brick interiors, a convivial atmosphere and an amazing selection of craft beers take centre stage, but the food is excellent too, with tasty, daily specials on offer. From all-American flavours such as St. Louis ribs to Mexican-style favourites, the changing menu features dishes to please any palate. Look out for the gorgeous mosaic on one of its walls, painted by local artist Lora Jost for the brewery’s 25th anniversary.
Free State Brewing Company, 636 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-843-4555
The Burger Stand at the Casbah
Named by Zagat as one of the top 25 burger joints across 25 American cities, The Burger Stand at the Casbah is arguably the best place for a patty in Lawrence – and the most upscale too. In addition to the famous burgers, ranging from American Kobe beef to the Fire Burger served with habanero and cactus jam, The Burger Stand cooks up delicious truffle fries and adventurous takes on the humble hot dog. With most ingredients sourced locally and an effortlessly cool interior, this venue is a must-try for some of the best meaty fare in town.
The Burger Stand at the Casbah, 803 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-856-0543
A menu of expertly prepared pan-Asian classics and abundant vegetarian options is a good sign you’ve arrived at Zen Zero, Lawrence’s premier spot for Eastern food. With numerous local awards hailing it the best vegetarian and Asian restaurant in the city, Zen Zero continues to serve up a fantastic array of curries, noodles and stir fries: start with momos, Tibetan dumplings filled with charred tomato and sesame chutney. Then go on to a main of Thai massaman curry or classic Singapore noodles stir-fried with eggs, bean sprouts and cilantro. Zen Zero’s low-key décor contributes to its ambient atmosphere, making it a great place for a casual meal out.
Zen Zero, 811 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-832-0001
Merchants is located in a grand 1930s building that was previously occupied by Teller’s, a long-time local favourite. The new restaurant is slowly reaching similar levels of popularity with its gastropub bent and commitment to locally sourced ingredients: the duet of southern fried and bourbon barbecued Midwestern rabbit is moreish, while the succulent angus strip loin involves a 12oz KC strip and cabernet onion jam. The 30-strong selection of tap beers is an unmissable opportunity to sample some of the best artisanal brews in the country, including California, Colorado and Vermont brews.
Merchants, 746 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-843-4111
A chic bistro, with an interior of industrial-style lamps, boho chairs and a wall of green glass bottles, 715 serves up a menu of Italian and European delicacies. It specializes in succulent meats, prepared by the chef, whose apprenticeship in Florence taught him a few things about creating great-tasting salami. Choose your favourite flavour of Italy from options such homemade cotechino, a plate of seared, Tuscan-style pork sausage medallions, the classic rib eye Angus steak, or any of the fresh, handmade pastas and you can’t go wrong.
715, 715 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-856-7150
With two locations in Kansas, one in Lawrence and another in Topeka, Paisanos is renowned for its attentive service and homely American-Italian food that’s traditional, consistently tasty, and served in generous portions. Pizzas stacked high with toppings, rich sauces and much-loved Italian recipes make for great comfort food options; try the 15-layer lasagna for a meaty treat, or the sausage and tortellini, which features tri-colour pasta smothered in a diavolo cream sauce and topped with sausage.
Paisanos, 2112 W 25th St, Lawrence, KS, +1 785-838-3500
For those craving top-notch Latin American cuisine, La Parilla is a laid-back spot whose no-frills atmosphere and simple, tasty food have earned it several awards and a solid reputation on Lawrence’s dining scene. Tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas dominate the menu, but all manner of Mexican and South American flavours can be mixed and matched on request. The drinks menu boasts an array of margaritas, from the classic lime to coconut, mango and peach, as well as a good selection of high-end tequilas.
La Parilla, 724 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA, +1 785-841-1100
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.