Chatham Arch in Indianapolis is a beautiful, quaint, and preserved district, filled with small establishments that make a big mark, and well-known businesses that are still humbled and gracious to customers and tourists. This district is a growing area that has the help of local businesses and establishments to become a district united in its mission to be noticed accepted, and visited by history enthusiasts and tourists alike. Below is a list of what to do and see in this thriving area of Indiana‘s capital city.
The Best Chocolate In Town
Taste The Best Chocolate in Town and their long list of chocolates, caramel, toffees, truffles, chocolate covered pretzels, and more! Their specialty is their fresh, smooth, handmade truffles which come in over 40 different flavors. Incredible truffle flavors include chocolate chip cheesecake made with a milk shell and white ganache, chocolate chips and cream cheese; and then there is the dark and stormy truffle that has a dark shell and white ganache with ground ginger and spiced rum for extra flavor. Take advantage of their wide variety of beautifully decorated chocolate delights and find a sweet treat perfect for your tastes here.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 11am-8pm, Sun 12pm-5pm
880 Massachusetts Ave., Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 636 2800
The mission of IndyFringe is to help independent artists through creating an environment that is open to any style, background, ethnicity; it is an open and accessible creative outlet. It also was founded on the basis of discovering the extraordinary youth of Indianapolis, up-and-coming artists with the potential to become highly respected artists in the future. IndyFringe hosts year-round theater events on both of their theater stages: IndyFringe Basile Theater and the Indy Eleven Theater. A known event is the IndyFringe Festival, that lasts 11 days every August, where uncensored festivities occur with 64 groups performing at eight venues, totalling to over 384 individual performances.
719 E Saint Clair St., Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 522 8099
Chatham Home Interior
Award-winning interior designer Hope and her mother, Faith, run Chatham House – the family owned and operated furniture store with unique options that are modern, simple, and antiquated. To make your future purchases even more of a steal, pricing is honest and do not fluctuate to benefit the store, but to benefit the customer as the buyer; this is possible through the manufacturer’s discount and the place is the best for getting a deal on quality items. Their furniture is made of solid wood because that is the only furniture that Chatham Home furniture believes in and the owners feel that hollowed wood is not durable and it is hard to make that kind of furniture last through generations.
Opening hours: Tues-Sun 11am-6pm
517 E Walnut St., Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 917 8550
Live, interactive, rated E for Everyone entertainment awaits visitors at Comedysportz Indianapolis. Since 1993, the improvised comedy from this local laugh factory has been lifting spirits and making their mark on the world of comedy in their community. The name does not mean that it is all jokes about football, soccer, basketball, and cricket; the name actually means that there is a winner and each team that plays has a chance to outwit the other team. They compare themselves to the art of the long-running improvised comedy show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”. Comedysportz have performances every week that are often based on suggestions from fans with great ideas.
Opening hours: Thurs-Fri 7:30pm-9pm, Sat 7:30pm-9pm and 10pm-11:30pm
721 Massachusetts Ave., Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 951 8499
Phoenix Theater Indianapolis
The performances at the Phoenix Theater are intimate and personal. They are a member of the Actors’ Equity Union and every season, Phoenix Theater gives 100 professional artists the opportunity to hone their skills, gain experience, and practice their craft. They are also a part of the National New Play Network, which is an alliance of the United State’s non-profit professionals, who support the constant growth and development of new plays.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
749 N Park Ave, Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 635 7529
Outliers Brewing Company
Outliers Brewing Company is a company that makes a large amount of beer while maintaining a high quality and in good timing. They have both signature and seasonal beers and like many places, signature items seem to be available for a limited time only. While this can be disappointing, Outliers give their customers the opportunity to taste their products by making all of the their beers available every day of the year at different establishments around their area. The beers include the buffalo jacket IPA, whitcomb rye, and the county brown beers. These beers only make up a fraction of what the brewery has created and if you want to try some, go and explore the brewery and find out where to purchase your new favorite beer.
St. Joseph Brewery
St. Joseph Brewery is unlike many others because it is actually in the same building that the old St. Joseph’s Church used to be. The owners retained the beautiful architecture and dim lighting of the church before they arrived and turned it into the successful establishment it is now. They serve American cuisine, burgers, steak, seafood, sandwiches and more, all at reasonable prices that do not jeopardize the quality of food.
540 N College Ave, Indianapolis, IN, +1 317 602 5670
Walk Along Massachusetts Avenue
Massachusetts Avenue has many beautiful sights, places to eat, and places to shop. The historical architecture of the building is very apparent and ranges from building to building. The Hammond Block, The Athenaeum, The Marott Building, and others all have structures, and a history behind them, that make them unique. The Hammond Block was a home to a wide range of offices and the storefront window hoods are made of cast iron and reminiscent of Italianate classic.
Just a mere block from the World War Memorial Building is the peaceful, beautiful, fresh, and clean University Park. Directly in the center of the park is the Indiana War Memorial, which is as intriguing as it is beautiful, and eye opening. This park is perfect for sightseeing as well as a great place to take a rest from the day’s activities, explore more of the city and its people, or to just leisurely walk without abandon and take in the fresh air around you. It is good way to start the morning and it is a relaxing way to end the night.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.