Spanning 50 acres of fairground rides, public parks, shops, restaurants, bars and other fun, you’ll never be bored on Navy Pier – especially if you’re staying at one of these close-by Chicago hotels, bookable on Culture Trip.
Since it reopened to the public in 1995, the 3,300ft (1,000m)-long Navy Pier has welcomed over 180 million people, making it one of Chicago’s most popular sights. It’s no wonder, since the pier is packed with entertainment: firework displays, outdoor movies and live music. The area around Navy Pier is similarly vibrant, with yet more eateries and boutique stores sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with unmissable Chicago attractions like the Museum of Contemporary Art and the 360 Chicago Observation Deck. Among all this are some outstanding hotels that provide almost as much fun as you’ll have exploring, while acting as a reliable base for recharging the batteries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This boldly contemporary venue on the edge of Lake Michigan has rooms and public areas adorned with modern art and bright colors, plus you can upgrade to a suite for a waterfront view. Complimentary classes in the fitness area are a nice bonus – or go a step further and pay for a personal trainer – otherwise you can simply take a dip in the heated indoor pool. The hotel provides a useful list of nearby activities, including bike and jogging trails – plus the many water-based options available on the lake, like jet-skiing, sailing and kayaking.
Not only do you have almost instant access to Navy Pier in this upmarket venue, but you’re also minutes from the pretty Chicago Riverwalk and a few blocks from the nature- and culture-crammed Millennium Park. It’s a great choice for families, with everything from coloring books to PlayStation 3s available, and child-friendly foods in the on-site restaurants. You can’t stay here without dining at Streeterville Social – a restaurant and bar set on a huge rooftop space, serving snacks and light-ish bites. Pair them with cocktails and Chicago beers, like Revolution Brewing’s Hazy-Hero IPA.
Whether you’re sightseeing or on business, the daily free breakfast at this smart, well-kept hotel will be a boost to your morning. For daytime and evening eating, there are two casual Italian restaurants within the hotel, and globally inspired dining everywhere you turn when you step outside: Thai, Indian, Chinese, Mexican – plus plenty of lively bars for afterwards. A business center and plenty of meeting room space make Embassy Suites an especially good pick for anyone on work-related travel.
If you’re staying in a boutique hotel that’s steps away from the Magnificent Mile, it’s likely you’ll be doing some shopping. All of the Ivy’s rooms are extra spacious – as well as featuring modern, artistic decor – meaning you’ll have somewhere to store all those impulse buys. If you want even more space, suites contain separate living rooms. Check the 16th-floor Sky Terrace bar for cityscape views and cocktails – try the zingy Ivy Margarita, with blackberry-strawberry purée – or simply venture out of the hotel for a dizzying choice of upscale cocktail bars, casual pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes.
With a gleaming, towering exterior that blends into its skyscraper surroundings and a lobby that recalls The Great Gatsby, it’s not hard to appreciate where the “grand” of the hotel’s title came from. All rooms feel pleasingly indulgent and feature views of either the Chicago River, Lake Michigan or the general downtown hubbub. The fitness center boasts a pool and an outdoor terrace, so you can distract yourself from your exercise bike workout by taking in the serene riverside views.
Visual art aficionados will love the fact that this hotel is just across the street from both the Museum of Contemporary Art and the City Gallery in the Historic Water Tower, a low-key treasure showcasing local photography. It’s a fitting location for a venue as modern and arty as Audrey. All rooms have enticing city views and there’s a 24-hour fitness center. Dining-wise, as you’re on the doorstep of the Magnificent Mile you’ll be spoiled for choice – with a bowl of whatever global delicacy takes your fancy just minutes away at any given moment.
This classy venue is a great pick for guests on work trips, who will appreciate the full business center, computer station with printers and enormous meeting space. But take full advantage of the other amenities – namely the hot tub next to the indoor pool. Then there’s the 24-hour fitness center, or a running club if you’d rather clock your miles on Chicago’s streets. Rooms are spacious and classic, with some featuring oversized desks and many offering city views that’ll make you want to head out and explore the Magnificent Mile – just one block away.
The prime setting of this hotel, in the bustling Streeterville neighborhood, means that you’re only steps away from Navy Pier and the ever-lively Magnificent Mile, with other highlights like the Wrigley Building – an iconic 1920s skyscraper – and Grant Park also nearby. Back at the hotel, there’s a smart lobby-lounge offering cocktails, clean and airy rooms with lots of space, a 24-hour business center and a heated indoor swimming pool.
Get into the heart of Navy Pier by staying directly on it – you’ll have all the sights and buzz of the pier on your doorstep, plus beautiful, sweeping views of the harbor and Lake Michigan from your window. Make the most of the location by renting a bike or organizing a boat trip from the hotel. Or stay static and enjoy the lake from one of the biggest rooftop bars in the country, Offshore – just moments away from the hotel at the end of the pier. Sable’s bedrooms are bright, airy and crisp with colorful decor that complements the nautical setting.
Still not found your ideal place to stay in the Windy City? See the best hotels and best spa retreats in Chicago, all bookable now via Culture Trip. Fill up your days with the best outdoor activities and best beaches in the city, then grab a bite at one of the best American restaurants in town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.