Located in Illinois, and with over 2.7 million inhabitants, Chicago is one of the largest cities in America. It is well known for its contributions to art, theatre and music, especially jazz. Along with this cultured city come some of the country’s trendiest and most stylish neighbourhoods. Home to the rich and famous, the artistic and the alternative, Chicago really does have it all. Explore the the city’s streets with our guide to Chicago’s 5 coolest neighborhoods.
The Bucktown and Wicker Park areas have been classed as a Chicago neighbourhood since 1837. With 80 acres of land originally bought by brothers Charles.G.Wicker and Joel.H.Wicker, this area was developed into a neighbourhood that consisted of streets and a working drainage system. Of course the neighbourhood has changed since this time and has since become one of Chicago’s trendiest areas, classed as one of the swankiest in the city, if not the country. Since the 1980s Bucktown and Wicker Park has been home to many fabulous artists and musicians and there is always an array of events. With its rise in popularity, the price of homes here has continued to climb with some reaching up to $2 million and above.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Named after Captain George Wellington Streeter, this neighbourhood has gone on to become home to some of the city’s most expensive real estate. It is said that the neighbourhood was founded after Streeter and his wife became washed up on Sandbar after a storm. They decided to live there aboard their boat and after the Chicago fire of 1871 began to sell off parts of the land for the creation of shanty towns. However, after many legal battles, Streeter lost control of the land. Today Streeterville, also nicknamed the ‘platinum coast’ is home to some of the most extraordinary apartments, many of which are attached to banks, hotels, shops and sports centres. One apartment is even attached to a bowling alley and cinema.
Gold Coast/Old Town
Gold Coast is home to beautiful historic mansions and exclusive boutiques. This is definitely worth a visit to see how the other half live – Oprah once lived on the border of this high profile neighbourhood and today home buyers can pay millions for a simple two bedroom apartment. There are also a selection of Michelin starred restaurants and steakhouses for anyone who feels hungry after a busy day of shopping in the area’s designer stores.
River North is home to fine art and design along with fine dining and drinks. Since the 1970s and 1980s, industrial warehouses have been transformed into stylish studios for artists and entrepreneurs and the area has since become a hub for showrooms and fabulous galleries. This is actually home to the greatest concentration of galleries in the country with over 100 situated here, along with the world’s largest commercial building, the Merchandise Mart. If that wasn’t enough to boast about, River North is also the location of the tallest tower in the western hemisphere, the Trump Tower. Along with antique shops, designer wholesalers, home stores and entertainment centres this is one of Chicago’s trendiest neighbourhoods.
Located south of Wicker Park, this neighbourhood has kept much of the heritage brought over by immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries. Although the area was home to German and Polish immigrants, the area was predominantly Ukrainian although today many residents are no longer of Ukrainian descent. However the Ukrainian cuisine is still very much in evidence – and very tasty _ and you’ll here Ukrainian spoken along the street. Along with amazingly decorated churches and buildings this is one of Chicago’s most fascinating neighbourhoods with a variety of shops, restaurants and some wonderful Victorian houses. By Orfhlaith Kearney
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.