Chicago has a long history with blues music, but one of our favorite blues musicians in the city is the young Jacob Schulz. Schulz, or “Brother Jacob,” is a blues singer native to Chicago, and his love of the blues has inspired him to start Chicago Blues Productions with the goal to help revitalize Chicago’s blues scene for the next generation.
You’ve been involved in the Chicago blues scene for a while now, especially for someone so young. Do you feel like this gives you a unique perspective of Chicago and the blues?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At times, I think I have a unique perspective. I am constantly thinking about ways to expose blues music to more people in my generation. In order for blues music to live on, we’ve got to expand our reach to younger generations.
What advice would you give to someone who was trying to break into the Chicago blues scene?
Sometimes I wish someone would give me some advice for breaking into the Chicago blues scene. The best advice I can give to someone is to first familiarize yourself with the music. The blues scene (or music industry in general) is not for everyone. Secondly, start patronizing the blues establishments. Become acquainted with blues musicians and start going to jam sessions. This is the way you can break into the blues scene.
What’s next for you and Chicago Blues Productions?
We are trying to host another blues show in the spring of 2016. I am hoping to have a regular blues show every month. The difficult part is finding a venue. The purpose of Chicago Blues Productions is to host blues shows in areas that are experiencing a ‘blues drought.’ Eventually, I would like to open up my own venue that does the following, but not limited to:
• Regular Blues Shows
• Blues Music Classes ( Vocal, Drum, Guitar lessons, etc)
• After-school program for students in elementary and high schools.
I have another business venture on the side called ‘Brother Jacob’s Desserts.’ For that company, I have the goal of opening up a café/restaurant. If that is possible, then Chicago Blues Productions would also be included with that business.
What advice would you give your younger self?
I would tell my younger self to be brave and take risks.
If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be?
Koko Taylor, The Queen of the Blues (and my favorite blues singer).
How would you describe yourself in 80 characters?
Self-motivated, goal-driven and trustworthy.
Game of Thrones or Harry Potter? Harry Potter.
Sandwiches or burritos? Burritos.
Records or MP3s? Records.
Train or bus? Train.
Pen or pencil? Pen.
Marvel or DC? Marvel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.