Whether looking for a low-cost adventure or luxurious and relaxing getaway for two, the Big Island of Hawaii suits all tastes and budgets – especially for traveling couples.
A big draw to the Big Island is this particular getaway isn’t as crowded as some others – it’s easy to find a quiet beach to sit alone with your partner, or a rural hike into the rainforest that leaves all the stresses of the modern world behind. It’s an undeniably romantic spot, and this guide will help traveler’s find their way through a peaceful paradise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Places to stay
This rustic bed and breakfast is nestled in the high elevation forest just outside of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, a great base to explore the hiking trails, lava tubes, and all the park has to offer. The 10-acre property has 12 rooms in the historic inn and four cottages that provide guests with quiet and privacy. Warm up in front of your private fireplace or take a dip in the jacuzzi set amongst tropical flowers in the garden.
This luxurious option is located right on the spectacular Kohala Coast and offers guests access to a private beach, sweeping ocean views, al fresco dining options, a beach bar, and an outdoor spa. Couples can unwind on their private balconies that look out over the horizon and book various activities like outrigger canoe paddling and stand-up paddle boarding, or tan at the 10,000 square-foot pool.
Places to play
Tucked away in the North Kona District is a secluded gem only accessible by foot, Kīholo Bay. This natural playground has glistening turquoise water that invites visitors to cool off from the hot Hawaiian sun and is an oasis for endangered Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles often seen basking on the rocks or beach. The picturesque bay is enclosed by an old lava flow that has created stunning tide pools, lava tubes, and a black sand beach. The brackish water is perfect for snorkeling and there are hiking trails along the rugged shoreline to explore unfrequented areas.
Choose from four different ocean experiences or charter a private boat and create your own adventure with Hawaii Oceanic. Stationed in Honokohau Harbor in Kailua Kona, this company only takes out small groups for an intimate and relaxing ocean experience. Visitors night swim with manta rays, snorkel with dolphins, or in winter, have an up-close encounter with humpback whales.
Places to eat
Places to drink
A drink at Beach Tree Bar & Lounge in the Four Seasons is unforgettable. Wicker chairs are set right on the sand overlooking the Pacific Ocean. If you want to nibble on something while taking in the sunset, fish tacos, and bruscetta are on the menu, along with an extensive wine list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.