Whether you want to buy leather hot pants held together by safety pins at Junkman’s Daughter or that obscure b-track no one has ever heard of at Criminal Records, Little Five Points in Atlanta is the coolest neighborhood in town. With every subculture represented, Little Five Points is a great place to feel cool by association, whilst people-watching and enjoying a great cup of coffee. We check out the best cafes in the area.
Aurora Coffee Interior | Courtesy of Aurora Coffee
The coffee you get at Aurora is the kind you only drink black. It’s so good, it’ll make a purist out of the most habitual ‘latte two sugars’ coffee drinker. The walls are plastered in gig posters and flyers, showcasing the ‘next best thing’. At the back of Aurora is a balcony overlooking the parking lot. Whilst this doesn’t sound particularly scenic on paper, the parking lot boasts such great graffiti that it is a piece of artistry in itself. Come here for good coffee, friendly staff and interesting things to look at.
Aurora Coffee, 468 Moreland Ave NE, Atlanta, GA, USA, +1 404523 6856
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Village Coffee House
Village Coffee House serves excellent coffee and food at great value prices. The decor is basic and whilst no comfy armchairs are dotted around to tempt you to spend the day idling with a paper and cup of coffee, it’s a great place to recharge in between shopping at Junkman’s Daughter and Criminal Records. If the weather is nice, there are tables and chairs outside.
Village Coffee House, 420 Seminole Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA, USA, + 1 404688 3176
Baba’s Turkish and Mediterranean Delight
At Baba’s Turkish and Mediterranean Delight, Turkish coffee is served just as it should be – thick, grainy and bitter. Paired with some honey-sweet baklava, the result is a wonderful combination of two extremes. If you finish this treat still wanting more, their gyros are just as tasty and hit the spot. This makes Baba’s one of the few places you’ll end up having your coffee and desert before your main course.
Baba’s Turkish and Mediterranean Delight, 1099 Euclid Ave, Atlanta, GA, USA, +1 404681 3997
Not even an area so independently minded can avoid the mighty shadow cast by the giant that is Starbucks. Including Starbucks in this list provides a contrast to all the coffee shops listed above. This branch of Starbucks is comfortable, plays calming music and serves consistent coffee. It appears just like the other 78 Starbucks in Atlanta. There are no risks in enjoying a coffee here, but there are also no surprises.
Starbucks, 506 Moreland Avenue, Atlanta, GA, USA, +1 404230 9085
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.