You Probably Should Not Eat at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Resort

Mar-a-Lago | © AP/REX/Shutterstock

NYC Food & Drink Editor

Forked over the $200,000 initiation fee? You could get a case of food poisoning in return.
Health inspectors visited the kitchen at Mar-a-Lago, the Miami Herald reports, and issued citations galore.
They found more than a dozen violations in the kitchen of Donald Trump’s private Palm Beach club. Three of them were considered “high priority,” meaning they could cause diners to ingest illness-causing bacteria.
Smoked salmon was being served without undergoing “proper parasite destruction.” Two meat coolers were broken, and food was being stored at a dangerously warm temperature—the inspectors found raw ham that clocked in at 57 degrees, 16 above the required 41. Other violations included rusty shelving and cooks without hairnets.
The restaurant was allowed to remain open, but “staff scrambled to make several immediate corrections,” according to the Associated Press. The AP also reports that, over the past three years, the club has received 78 violations, which include “an accumulation of black/green mold-like substance in the ice machine,”and chefs handling food without washing their hands.
This is all a bit unpalatable, especially for a place where the American president has spent nearly every weekend since his inauguration, and which he refers to as the “Winter White House.” The violations were found in late January, just days before Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited the club for diplomatic reasons. This past weekend, Trump hosted a summit there with Chinese leader Xi Jinpeng, during which the two leaders notoriously shared chocolate cake while discussing the U.S. cruise missile strike on Syria.
So if you happen to get an invitation to the private club, maybe think about packing your own lunch.

Culture Trip Summer Sale

Save up to $1,395 on our unique small-group trips! Limited spots.

Edit article