As the old Spanish capital of Florida, St Augustine offers a plethora of beautiful tapas restaurants and multiple international fusion venues. We profile 10 of the best restaurants in this Florida gem.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
St Augustine’s locals and visitors describe The Floridian as a restaurant serving regionally, authentic cuisine for lunch and dinner. The Floridian uses fresh-from-the-source ingredients – down home Southern comfort entrees mixed with lighter, healthier dishes. The restaurant also offers a plethora of vegetarian options. The venue prides itself on the use of local and sustainably produced meats, seafood, vegetables, artisan breads and cheeses. The restaurant does not take reservations, except around the holidays. Say yes to the pickled pepper shrimps, fried green tomato bruschetta, and shrimp and sausage pilau.
Located inside a historical Colonial Victorian home built in 1865, the Raintree Restaurant offers an intimate atmosphere in an elegant setting. Serving an international menu ranging from Mediterranean and American to Italian and surf & turf fare, the Raintree Restaurant is also one of St Augustine’s most beloved spots. The Raintree serves everything from a Sunday brunch spread of crepes, croques, sandwiches, salads and a continental buffet, to the best beef Wellington in town, paired with an extensive award-winning wine list. Beyond the food, the property is registered as one of St Augustine’s historic Inns, so be sure to soak up the atmosphere during dinner.
Gypsy Cab Company
Owner Pat Morrissey says Gypsy Cab Company‘s urban ‘cab fare’ (daily menu) is prepared by a creative and innovative culinary team who borrow from Italian, German, Cajun, Mediterranean, classical European, Southern, Oriental and ‘Floribbean’ cuisines. The local Anastasia Island neighborhood establishment has a menu that mostly changes daily, so a recommendation from the wait staff is warmly welcome. Or, select a few mainstay favorites from the menu, like the Gypsy chicken and duck with vegetables.
Costa Brava is situated inside the striking Casa Monica Resort, dressed in lavish antiques, silk textures and hand-painted gold leaf ceilings. The elegant Moroccan design gives a strong nod to the south of Spain. The restaurant offers fine wine and an eclectic mix of international cuisine. Since the opening in 1999, the restaurant has become a St Augustine favorite for romantic dinners, business meetings and other special social occasions. From the menu try the coriander-crusted sea scallops, filet mignon with crab and shrimp ragout, and the savannah style shrimp and grits. Pair the meal with any one of the wines offered from Napa to Spain.
The Columbia Restaurant has been a Florida institution since 1905. In St Augustine, the restaurant features authentic Spanish cuisine befitting of its environment. The restaurant was first opened in Tampa by Casimiro Hernandez Senior and has since only grown in popularity. The atmosphere consists of Spanish design with a hacienda-style indoor patio dining room. From the tapas menu, try the gazpacho Andalucia, pincho mixta and the tortilla Espanola. For an entree, the Paella Campesina is a delicious blend of Valencia rice with beef, pork chicken and chorizo.
Mojo comes from the lyric of a blues song, describing a good luck feeling and cool cat vibe. The blues-filled space at Mojo’s offers a southern blues kitchen vibe with matching food. A variety of regional barbecue specialities from all over the country are given a Mojo spin for some of the best barbecue dishes in North Florida. From the menu, get the barbecued pork, beef briskets or chicken, accompanied by a side of collard greens, mac and cheese or grits. From the bar, the Kentucky mule cocktail is a long-standing fave.
Michael’s Tasting Room
Offering cuisine inspired by the Mediterranean region and traditional Spanish plates, Michael’s Tasting Room is a delicious meal in a city built by Spaniards. The plates range from tapas to entrees and are accompanied by an extensive, award-winning wine list with more than 70 different Spanish wines. Along with the meal guests are afforded authentic, live Spanish music. This restaurant is the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner or date night. Try the cochinito frito, which is crispy pork belly, pineapple cilantro pique, and a white bean salad; gambas la Florida, which is sweet local shrimp sauteed with garlic and datil peppers deglazed with Florida orange juice and escabeche onions.
Crave Food Truck
Tucked away in a boatyard near the San Sebastian River, Crave Food Truck is the freshest food in the oldest city. St Augustine’s premiere food truck offers fresh, local and healthy menu options from smoothies and wraps, to salads and vegan sandwiches. The outdoor picnic table seating overlooks the St Augustine’s main river, which creates a very pleasant atmosphere. Try the Tuscan kale salad with beets, pumpkin seeds, tomato and other delicious items, all topped with hummus and balsamic dressing. Another good option is the tuna wrap full of carrots, fresh spinach, cabbage, avocado and other fresh veggies.
In the heart of the historic district, Collage Restaurant offers a first-class, award-winning experience. The menu reflects the eclectic tastes of owners Mike Hyatt and Cindy Stangby, and focuses on fresh local seafood, steaks, lamb and veal, using international flavors. The decor is intimate and romantic – the perfect setting for a special occasion or date night. Choose the Kobe beef short ribs with parsnip puree; the lobster ravioli, which is filled with lobster and shrimp; and for dessert, the chocolate bread pudding.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.