Botanical gardens and bird rescue centers entice you to see a different side of Florida‘s beachside city, away from the clubs and pool parties.
Plenty of the top attractions in Miami are free to enjoy, from the white sands of South Beach to the Art Deco Historic District. And as Miami is one of the more walkable cities in the United States, you can keep your carbon footprint down and work on your tan by exploring on foot. Ready to soak up some of that sweet Florida sunshine? Plan a more sustainable vacation with these ecofriendly hotels and things to do in Miami.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No detail has been overlooked at this LEED Silver-certified eco-conscious hotel. Room keys are made from sustainable wood, clothes hangers from recycled paper and filtered drinking water is on tap to reduce single-use plastics. You can also rest easy on an environmentally friendly mattress with organic cotton bedding while using an app to adjust the energy-efficient air conditioning. Grab a green juice from the Plnthouse cafe and admire the views from the beachfront deck or glorious rooftop pool.
Deering Estate in coastal South Dade is home to some of the most precious natural resources in the country, including one of the largest virgin coastal tropical hardwood forests in the United States. The 150-acre (60.7ha) grounds provide a sanctuary for endangered plant species and over 170 resident and migratory bird species, including yellow-throated warblers and eastern screech owls. Join a guided butterfly walk, hike along the shore, or rent a kayak to explore the mangroves of Biscayne Bay.
Can a hotel have an ice rink and be ecofriendly? Edition Hotels is aiming to prove that its Miami Beach location can. Situated in the quieter, Mid-Beach area, this luxurious bolthole has welcomed the likes of ardent environmental activist Leonardo DiCaprio and was designed by the co-creator of Studio 54 nightclub, Ian Schrager. With white, minimalist rooms, potted plants galore and glass water bottles (all Edition hotels aim to avoid single-use plastic), it’s heading in the right direction.
For a leisurely low-impact afternoon well spent, head to Wynwood, where you’ll find the coolest collection of street art in the city. These vibrant murals embrace topics such as Black Lives Matter, feminism, social justice and climate change, while others are simply fun and frivolous. Check out the gift shop for the most stylish reusable water bottles and recycled notebooks you ever did see.
Situated within a serene wellness events space, Plant Miami is all about “the art of conscious cuisine”. The plant-based menu features nutrient-dense organic dishes, with almost everything – from salads and root veg to microgreens and edible flowers – coming directly from the restaurant’s own regenerative farm. Try the kale-and-avocado salad and immune-boosting juices, or treat yourself to the banana pancakes.
Forgot your toothbrush? In need of snacks? Sidestep the 7-Eleven and shop at Verde Market instead. Everything here is designed to minimize waste, from the fill-your-own-container snack stations to the reusable, recyclable food utensils and ecofriendly bathroom essentials. Grind your own nut butter for an instant protein hit, or blend the perfect trail mix to see you through a day of sightseeing.
Established in 1980 to save injured brown pelicans, the nonprofit seabird rehabilitation center in Miami has expanded to accommodate any native bird, mammal or reptile in need. Hundreds of bird species are treated here each year, including mangrove cuckoos, white-crowned pigeons and blue-winged warblers, as well as the occasional tortoise or squirrel. Join a sunset birding cruise or guided station tour to support the station’s important work and learn more about wildlife in Miami.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.