Boasting immense parks, delicious food and an abundance of cultural events, Miami is one of the most popular cities on the East Coast of America. For those looking for small-town charm, though, there are many more beautiful destinations worth exploring in Florida – and they lie just a short trip away from Miami.
You won’t have to travel far to reach these cool towns. From the verdant suburb of Homestead to the lavish oasis of Palm Beach, they all guarantee a super-fun day trip from Miami. Browse through Culture Trip’s top picks and plan your next adventure around the area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You would never guess that this little wonder is only 35mi (56km) away from Miami. The name Homestead has stuck since the late 1800s, when the Florida East Coast Railway was being built and materials were consigned to “Homestead Country” – an agricultural area designated for homesteading. Now, the town serves as a colorful Miami suburb, sandwiched between two spectacular preserves: the Biscayne National Park and the Everglades National Park. Make sure to visit the Cauley Square Historic Railroad Village to marvel at refurbished railroad cars, and explore the many wineries and fruit orchards in the Redland region.
Part of the Florida Keys archipelago, this subtropical paradise is just under a four-hour drive away from Miami – all you need to do is cross 43 bridges and 31 islands to find it. If this sounds like a lot, rest assured that Key West will not disappoint. Think relaxing on exotic beaches with creamy sands, kayaking in canals framed by lush mangroves and fine dining. Join a ghost tour or mingle with the locals along Duval Street. This is where Ernest Hemingway look-alikes ride a man-made bull on wheels every year during the Hemingway Days Festival. End your day with a glorious sunset from Mallory Square, surrounded by eccentric street entertainers.
More like a village of islands than an actual town, the delightful Islamorada incorporates six of the Florida Keys islands and is often referred to as the fishing capital of the world. Aside from turquoise waters that make for unforgettable diving and snorkeling sessions, you can rent anything from a kayak to a boat to further explore the area by sea. Check out the endangered plants and protected insects and birds at the Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park, or pass by Robbie’s marina to feed the tarpon and spot pelicans. Just off the coast of Islamorada, there’s a narrow sandbar where locals gather to drink and dance all night long.
Spend some time on the sandy beaches of Key Largo, before popping by Marathon. The town is known for its amazing wildlife – loggerhead turtles nest at Coco Plum Beach and Sombrero Beach, while sharks and stingrays populate the Aquarium Encounters facility. Marathon is also home to the world’s only sea-turtle hospital, as well as a rehabilitation center for injured bottlenose dolphins – swim sessions with the cheerful mammals are on offer here. Hike your way through a tropical oasis of hardwood trees at the Crane Point Nature Center, and drive across the Seven Mile Bridge from Knight’s Key to Little Duck Key for incredible ocean vistas.
If you’re a massive fan of theme parks, a day trip to Orlando is a must. The city hosts the most spectacular amusement parks in the world, including the crown jewel – the Walt Disney World Resort (featuring classics such as Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom) – and the world-famous Universal Studios (home to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter). For an open-sided jeep safari alongside roaming zebras, try the Safari Wilderness ranch, and for an up-close look at crocodiles and alligators, visit Gatorland. When you get tired from all the thrills, chill out in the 50 acres (20ha) of the Harry P. Leu Gardens amid bright camellias, rose bushes and butterflies.
For a little glitz and glamor head to Palm Beach. As its name suggests, this town is filled with palm trees and white-sand beaches, including the expansive Municipal Beach. The biggest draws here are the upscale boutiques, galleries and restaurants on Worth Avenue, as well as the million-dollar estates that the rich and famous call summer homes. Venture a bit further out to visit the historic Jonathan Dickinson State Park – featuring natural habitats such as pine flatwoods and river swamps – and the Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge, home to nearly 40 endangered species. Hop on a 20-minute kayak ride to Peanut Island for snorkeling and hiking.
Its proximity to Miami – only 30mi (48km) away – makes Fort Lauderdale super-popular with Miamians looking to escape the city. The town echoes Miami when it comes to its five-star hotels and refined restaurants, but Fort Lauderdale is much more laid-back. Next to a wide array of beaches – which once served as spring-break hubs filled with wild students – there is an entire network of waterways and canals dissecting the town. Hop aboard a water taxi and paddle along to explore the town’s vibrant nightlife, as well as its art galleries, museums and boutiques – the hippest ones are found in the Las Olas neighborhood.
Borrowing the elegance of its Italian namesake, Naples is one those Floridian towns that has remained largely untouched by the overall extravagance of the state. Charming and romantic, Naples is the ideal sanctuary for east coasters looking for a low-key getaway. Rent a bike and wander aimlessly along the pier or swim in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, before eating al fresco or splurging at the quaint antique shops and modern boutiques on Third Street South. Don’t miss the Naples Botanical Garden that hosts several themed gardens spread across 170 acres (69ha) of rainbow-colored land.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.