Surely, it’s common knowledge that you’ll probably need a pool to cool down in during your trip to the Sunshine State? To help you out, we’ve collated a list of the best Tampa hotels with pools, bookable now with Culture Trip.
It’s not fair that Tampa plays second fiddle to Orlando in the eyes of the uninitiated. Far from just a sports city – though they do lay claim to the biggest prizes in the NHL and NFL – Tampa is a haven for art, music, museums, theme parks and food. Oh yeah, and they just so happen to have a gorgeous stretch of Gulf coastline just waiting for you to wade into. Pack your swimsuit because these awesome Tampa hotels with pools will change your opinion on the Big Guava.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Courtyard by Marriott puts you within a doggie-paddle of the best Tampa events at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park. You’ll likely hear the commotion of a food festival or music performance as you swim laps in the outdoor pool. Dry off in your guest room, taking in the sights of the city and hopping around the Tampa Museum of Art, Glazer Children’s Museum and the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts surrounding the park.
However you want to go with the flow, let the Current keep you in calm waters. Jutting out of Tampa’s mainland, you’re good to float in their outdoor pool or paddle your way over to the narrow Ben T. Davis Beach. Before the sun sets, breaststroke as fast as possible back to the hotel so you can watch the sunset on Tampa Bay’s tallest rooftop lounge, Rox Rooftop Bar, alongside the fresh catch of the day.
Do you fancy a day at the piscine? Let Le Méridien wet your whistle. The old Historic Federal Courthouse is now a posh Tampa hotel with a pool and a French brasserie that’ll make you say oui to éclairs for every meal. Wear your stylish one-piece to their pool and bask in the Florida sun until you’re as red as a bottle of Bordeaux. Why not pop a bottle of red then during dinner at Bizou Brasserie?
You won’t miss your flight when you stay at Grand Hyatt even if you try. Their complimentary shuttle will get you there before the boarding gate opens. You’re welcome to push the envelope as much as you want, though; hang out at the pool until the tan lines disappear, scoot your way over to the sands of Clearwater Beach, or simply let time slip by as you sip coffee in your waterview room. You’ll still hit the terminal before the ink is dry on your boarding pass.
Saddlebrook Resort knows that you’re not going to spend all of your time at the pool, though they’ll gladly take you if you do. From the tennis court to the golf course, you’ll be quite busy soaking up the Florida sunshine in as many ways as possible. The links give you two opportunities to work on your game, both Arnold Palmer Signature Courses. Prefer to make love, not par? The tennis program is available for aspiring adults and prodigy juniors.
Hang out in Tampa, but spend your nights spoiled in St. Pete Beach at the Don CeSar. “Poolside concierge service” are the magic words that’ll keep you relaxed from early morning swims to late-night dips. The SandDollar pool bar will help keep you pruny. A beach house suite may be a half-mile (0.8km) from the actual hotel, but it’s well-worth the walk for anyone who wants to discover the dreamy lifestyle that is living on the Florida Gulf.
Visiting Tampa to see the Bolts bring the thunder to the ice? The Westin Tampa Waterside is within icing distance. When you’re not watching the Lightning go for yet another Stanley Cup, you’re free to bum around their pool or admire the city, harbor or bay views from your room. You can lounge about in your two-piece in both places, but we do suggest wearing shoes if you want to catch a late dinner at the Blue Harbour restaurant.
Clearwater Beach is regularly ranked as one of the best beaches in the country, so you can stop reading now and confidently book a stay at the beachfront Sheraton Sand Key Resort. Need further convincing? This Tampa hotel with a pool has hiking trails, beachfront location, a children’s pool, fishing piers, kayak launches and white sand shores right outside your suite. Go ahead, book the room, and then think it all over while you’re staring at the Gulf from the fire pit.
While 3mi (4.8km) may not be far, the distance between the Tahitian Inn and the Tampa Riverfront will give you the freedom you need to break away from the bustle of the city. It’s island time around the clock here, especially at the poolside Torch Bar where they’re slinging mai tais like there’s no tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, don’t spend it all in the cabana king suite no matter how tempting the California king bed may be.
Surrounded by water so soothing you’ll just want to dive right in, the Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas makes living in a pair of swim trunks effortless. The only time you’ll climb out of their two outdoor heated pools is to grab another Cigar City beer. The WTR Pool & Grill is a great place to eat a basket of fish and chips while the sun sets, but you might find us appreciating the crimson skies from a quiet spot on the private dock.
Looking for more places to stay in Tampa? Check out our guide to the best hotels in Tampa, bookable on Culture Trip.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Diann Johnson.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.