Tampa is a city that buzzes with an electric atmosphere, unfurling beside the glittery Gulf of Mexico on the west coast of Florida. In all likelihood, you’re here for a night before boarding a cruise – that’s one of its main attractions. But Tampa also has beaches and nightlife and plenty of other reasons to stay awhile. So stay somewhere spacious – why not a suite with a kitchen? – and make the most of your time in the sun. Here are the best Tampa hotels with suites, bookable via Culture Trip.
Easily reached by complimentary hotel shuttle from Tampa International Airport, this place has “relax and recharge” written all over it – not to mention shop, shop, shop, as it’s adjacent to the International Plaza and Bay Street mall. Opt for a room overlooking the Spanish-style courtyard or the expansive Tampa skyline, and curl up on your plush bed, snug among pure cotton linens. Try the club-level suites for perks including breakfast at the bistro downstairs, as well as access to the lounge, which turns out endless tasty snacks and drinks.
Just beyond the Westshore district, you’ll find some of the very best Tampa suites here – Sailport is part of the tiny Rocky Point island along the Courtney Campbell Causeway that runs for 10mi (16km). You’ll be close to key points – the airport, say, and downtown Tampa – but you’ll get a full-on beach breakfast. Suites stretch to 500sqft (45sqm). Dip in the outdoor pool, get a group to play beach volleyball or head to the Big Bamboo Bayside restaurant for conch fritters, jerk tacos and a pizza topped with Mexican pico de gallo salsa.
Tampa hotels with suites don’t get much better than this Marriott property – far from your standard chain-hotel proposition, the boutique style here turns heads the moment you step in. The wavy, carved-wood ceilings in the lobby show you what’s to come: views of gentle waves crashing over the bay, seen from your room. Suites carry the theme one step further with carved-wood desks inspired by driftwood, spotlight-like lamps and blue-and-gray prints hung above beds. Best of all, the rooftop bar and infinity pool have views of the finest sunset in the city.
One of the nicest hotels with suites that Tampa has to offer is actually about half an hour beyond the city proper, across the bay from St. Petersburg. These marina-side suites on Bahia Beach are a great retreat easily accessible from town. They deliver the works, from full-size kitchens to standalone tubs and hypoallergenic bedding – some suites are particularly spacious-feeling with airy open-plan configurations. Check in, settle in and cool off in one of the three outdoor pools, or rent a kayak, play beach volleyball and grab a cue and play some shuffleboard.
Explore downtown Tampa right outside this Hilton, steps away from the Riverwalk. Some rooms look out over the hotel’s two courtyard pools, while others have flash-for-the-cash touches including granite and marble countertops, backlit mirrors and tufted headboards. The hotel’s exterior is dazzling, with an all-window facade, and you’ll want to explore the sun deck, grab an on-site Starbucks or lose a couple of hours in the intimate wine room at 211 Restaurant. Top food tip: order the French-cut chicken or the delicious steak burger, which comes topped with garlic aioli and caramelized onions.
These low-key suites in South Tampa are perfect if you want to get around: you’re in a prime position to check out the action in downtown Tampa. Head across the bay and discover St. Petersburg, or ride along nearby Bayshore Boulevard. Whether your stay is just a quick pit stop before heading out on a cruise (the hotel has packages that include a ride to the port) or if you want to stick around awhile, you won’t get bored – the complimentary hot breakfast is worth the stay alone, plus there are en-suite kitchenettes and prime lazing by the heated outdoor pool.
This alluring tower of a hotel rises right beside the water in the heart of Tampa’s downtown district. For good reason, the rooms have the moniker Stay Well – health-giving novelties include an en-suite air purifier, circadian lighting and a Vitamin C infusion in the shower head. Feeling pepped up? Time for dinner on the bay at the restaurant’s waterfront restaurant, Anchor and Brine, for pan-seared scallops or aji amarillo honey grouper, best savored with a glass of top-of-the-line Italian wine.
Head east to this hotel on the outskirts of Tampa, off Interstate 75 and close to the town of Brandon. Suites sleep up to six and are eye-catching spaces, with designer touches such as lunar prints, striped carpets and textured bedspreads. Your stay also comes with bonuses including made-to-order breakfast, evening snacks and drinks, and you’ll be near plenty of neighborhood joints for lunch or dinner. Mango’s, the hotel restaurant, serves up some fine Floridian-inspired dishes, with locally caught seafood a favorite.
For more plush hotels in Tampa, check out our pick of the best hotels in Tampa, Florida, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.