When you think of Miami, you think of the glamour of South Beach or the Cuban flair found in pockets throughout the city. However, while Miami is, indeed, known for South Beach and Little Havana, there are some other gems in the city. Here is a list of the ten coolest neighborhoods around.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Miami Design District
Bordered by Buena Vista, Upper Eastside, Edgewater, Midtown, and Wynwood, the Design District is one of Miami’s trendiest zip codes. Filled to the brim with warehouses that have been renovated into chic showrooms full of innovative furniture designs and gallery spaces such as Locust Projects. It is also home to several brand-name fashion and watch shops like Cartier, Burberry, Alice+Olivia, Christian Louboutin, and Givenchy. Grab a bite at one of the neighborhood’s sophisticated restaurants like Ella, Mandolin Aegean Bistro, or MC Kitchen.
The coined arts district of Miami, this neighborhood is home to some eclectic galleries, such as the Rubell Family Collection and Pan American Projects. Aside from the galleries, Wynwood is home to some fantastic bars and restaurants: check out Coyo Taco for carne asada tacos and a margarita after a tour of Wynwood, or sit down for a plate of pappardelle gratinate at Joey’s Italian Cafe. During the day, you can snap all kinds of photos of colorful street art, which adorn almost every building, and visit the Wynwood Walls. For unique gifts, head to Frangipani. If you happen to hit the arts district at night, be sure to check out Brick and Wood Tavern for some great hip-hop music, a life-size game of Jenga, and a whiskey sour.
The epicenter of Cuban culture in Miami resides right here in Little Havana. With a rich history behind it, Little Havana, after waves of Cuban refugees settled into the neighborhood, became and still remains a top political and cultural spot in the city. Many older Cuban immigrants will meet up for a cafe con leche at Versailles, one of Miami’s top Cuban restaurants, to share memories and discuss Cuban politics. Many older Cuban men will also meet up at Domino Park for a game of dominoes and chat about the good ol’ days. Little Havana is also home to some of the best Cuban food around.
Known as “The City Beautiful,” Coral Gables is full of lush greenery, filled with trees, flowers, and other natural elements that give it a very whimsical, “garden” type of look. Walk along Miracle Mile to have lunch at one of the many great restaurants (like Red Koi), stop for a drink at one of the bars, and have a look at some of the cute little boutiques for treasures to take home. The neighborhood features old Spanish architecture and is home to many must-visit spots, including Books & Books, an independent bookstore; La Palma, a romantic shaded trattoria with Italian dishes and a beautiful Sunday brunch; and Bangkok Bangkok for when you want an authentic taste of Thailand in the middle of the week. Coral Gables is also home to the beautiful (and haunted!) Biltmore Hotel, the University of Miami, and the Venetian Pool.
What’s great about Coconut Grove, a.k.a. “The Grove,” is that it is a perfect balance of laid-back and romantic vibes. The Grove boasts many incredible restaurants that are absolutely perfect for first dates, such as Peacock Garden Cafe, Plant Food + Wine, and Panorama Restaurant and Sky Lounge. Peacock Park is a wonderful place to go for a walk during the day, later evening, or even at night, and it connects to the boardwalk, right on the marina. Grab some fresh seafood and a margarita at Monty’s, or head to Cocowalk for a movie and some shopping. The Grove makes for a relaxed night out, and if you come here during the day, you can also hit some unique specialty stores and boutiques.
Ah, Miami Beach, the part of the city that everyone dreams of visiting when they first think of Miami. With its historic Art Deco vibes, delicious restaurants, and access to the beautiful ocean, it’s no surprise that it made this list. So much more than clubs, though, there are some great spots you’ll want to check out, including the Betsy Hotel, the Soho Beach House, and the Lincoln Road Mall. Española Way offers guests an authentic slice of Spanish cuisine, Spanish colonial architecture, and fairy lights hanging over your head like tiny stars. If you’re looking for something a bit more “divey,” head to Kill Your Idol, and if you’re in the mood for diner food, head to Big Pink.
Downtown is often overlooked, but the Olympia Theater, Miami’s historic performing arts center, hosts a slew of awesome events like The Moth, a live event where people come on stage to tell stories (almost like monologues) for $10, as well as Broadway productions and live jazz. There are some real hidden gems here when it comes to dining options, such as the quaint yet romantic Fratelli Milano and healthy food spot Jar + Fork, which serves up salmon curry bowls, delicious wraps, and cold-pressed juices. You can also walk over to Bayside, which is a gorgeous spot on the water with live music, shops, and restaurants.
Also known as the financial district, Brickell is popular with many transplants who move to Miami from other cities and countries. The area’s best-kept secrets include Blackbird Ordinary for drinks (Tuesday is ladies night at Blackbird); El Tucan, which is a fun and lively cabaret that offers a dinner menu and out-of-this-world drinks, as well as a show. El Tucan is reminiscent of Havana, Cuba back in the day, and everyone who visits dresses to the nines; you’ll for sure feel like you’re stepping into a movie set. The new shopping center, called Brickell City Centre, has also opened and houses stores like Agent Provocateur, AllSaints, Chopard, Lululemon Athletica, and Pandora.
If you’re looking for a great spot to get some sweet Instagram pictures, this is your place. The MiMo District, also known as Upper Eastside, is home to several brightly colored motels, including the newly restored Vagabond motel that looks like something out of a 70s movie or an Urban Outfitter’s catalog. Another cool thing about the MiMo District is Jimmy’s Eastside Diner, which was one of the filming locations of the movie Moonlight. Tiffany lamps in all different colors light the interior of the diner, and the menu offers fresh omelettes, hot cakes, salads, sandwiches, and burgers. And for those Instagram images, walk around the neighborhood to find some colorful, offbeat backgrounds for selfies.
The last stop on this neighborhood roundup is Midtown, which has some must-see spots as well. If you’re in the mood for a lovely night out with friends and are searching for a place where you can enjoy wine, listen to jazz, and munch on toasted bread with a selection of cheese, salami, olives, and jam, then add Lagniappe to your must-visit list. If you want to go back in time to the days of the speakeasy, head to Prohibition. The Midtown Mall has many shops to visit and restaurants to try out such as Beaker and Gray. You’ll also have to hit the Grubstake thrift store for amazing finds (records, books, vintage dresses, and home décor) costing only a few dollars.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.