After being jostled by the recent category 5 hurricane that led to power outages, flooding and severe damage to buildings, the Florida Keys is set to reopen again to tourists in October. Restoration efforts have brought the clan of islands back to its former glory with airports opening once again. Here are a few reasons why they’re worth a visit.
The third biggest coral barrier reef to the world is home to hundreds of species of marine plants and animals. Go scuba diving or snorkeling at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo to see the reef and get a chance encounter with the underwater Christ of the Abyss – the 4,000 pound bronze sculpture located at the bottom of the sea.
The best fishing ever
Straddled between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, there are an endless amount of sites to go fishing in the Florida Keys as well as marinas with boat charters. Catch snapper, mahi mahi, barracudas and dolphin. It’s a fisherman’s paradise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Authentic Key Lime Pie
Home to the world-famous dessert, the Key Lime Pie is a tangy meringue cream cheesecake with crumbled cookie base you have to try.
A romantic honeymoon
The Keys’ relaxed island attitude and picturesque sunsets make it a romantic spot for lovebirds to celebrate their wedding or honeymoon. Take a stroll along the white sandy beaches lined with palm trees and fallen coconuts or sit on a pair of Adirondack chairs to listen to the birds and watch the scenic sunset. The islands’ balmy nights make it a relaxing retreat for those looking for a holiday – and it’s sunny all year long.
Not only fit for a silent retreat, the islands also cater to party-goers. Brimming with bars and nightclubs alike, the nightlife here is rowdy.
Drive the seven-mile bridge all the way to Key West and once you park your car, forget about it. The tiny island is easily walkable, especially Duval Street where restaurants, bars and shops abound. Plus, feel free to ride your bike and peddle anywhere.
The famous American novelist fell in love with Key West so much he bought a house here. Fans of his novels such as The Old Man and the Sea and A Moveable Feast will enjoy visiting the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, where you can see his personal treasures like his typewriter and mounted animal heads from his hunting escapades. The property is also home to 40-50 polydactyl (six-toed) cats!
The Keys offer a plethora of watersports to indulge in. Ride a jet ski or go kayaking, snorkeling or paddleboarding. You can also rent a boat and travel through more secluded islands like Sunset Key Island and Little Torch Key. Less we forget, Cuba is only about 90 nautical miles away if you want to have a peek.
You don’t need a passport!
The Keys are still part of Florida, so a passport is unnecessary if you’re a U.S. citizen!
All are welcome
Key West’s official philosophy “One Human Family” means all are welcome. The unifying slogan created by a local artist is an inclusive recognition that all people are created equal – a long held idea of the diverse and gay-friendly city. So no matter your race, gender, sexuality, political or religious beliefs, all are welcome here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.