In Wynwood, Miami’s bona fide art district that is founded on work from the world’s most famous street artists, restaurants are teeming with new wave conceptualism. From an omakase restaurant in a taco shop to a Dutch-style rotisserie, these incredible places are worth a visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Taco Stand
At San Diego-born restaurant The Taco Stand, owners Julian Hakim and Aram Baloyan transport diners to their Tijuana roots, serving up Baja-style breakfast, lunch and dinner plates made with corn tortillas and guacamole and salsas. Recipes are handed down from the owners’ Tijuana family lineage, so expect authentic Mexican street food like carne asada tacos, al pastor burritos, pollo quesadillas, all-natural paletas and imported Mexican sodas. Ximena Estadella designed the restaurant to include hand-painted menu boards on corrugated aluminum. The space is colored with Mexican flag-inspired symbolism and even a custom mural by Cuban artist Rigo Leon. In the back of this fast-casual Mexican joint is an upscale gem: HIDEN, an omakase restaurant that you’ll only get into if you have both a password and a reservation weeks in advance.
Le Chick (pronounced “le chic”) is Wynwood’s take on Rotisserie Amsterdam – a Dutch hotspot that’s famous for its rotisserie chicken, burgers and cocktail bar. Designed by Mónica Salazar of Alternativa, a Madrid-based interior design firm, Le Chick employs an industrial, Amsterdam-esque look throughout, with a touch of Miami flair. Wood floors and hanging steelwork complement antique mirrors and custom art installations by Richard Guaty, while comfort foods such as fries served four ways – parmesan truffle, sweet potato, jalapeño cheese and “skin on” – are menu favorites. Smokey rotisserie chicken and Double Dirty burgers with two dry-aged brisket patties and a fried egg are also crowd-pleasers. Award-winning José ‘Yeye’ Ortega oversees the bar program, which includes craft cocktails named after different breeds of chicken.
The Salty Donut
This Wynwood-based gem is a South Florida favorite. Considered Miami’s first and most popular artisanal donut shop, The Salty Donut has been pushing pastry boundaries since it opened its doors in December 2015. Now, you’ll regularly see hordes of fans lining the block in hopes of tasting the shop’s 24-hour brioche maple and bacon donuts with sausage, candied bacon “cracklings” and a J Wakefield porter redux. The shop offers six year-round donuts, including the annual sticky bun donut collaboration with Knaus Berry Farm, where a cinnamon roll is stuffed inside a thick layer of The Salty Donut’s signature dough before being fried, baked and covered with a roasted pecan-toffee rum glaze.
A new Mexican concept has come to Wynwood in the form of BAKAN, an indoor-outdoor restaurant and mezcaleria known for its earthy and artistic design and authentic Huastecan cuisine. BAKAN actually translates to “tortilla,” and here, they’re handmade by chef Oscar del Rivero and his team, created with corn that’s grown at 6,000 feet above sea level. Before even looking at the menu, take in the interior (and exterior), which is filled with cone-like lights hanging from the ceiling and a massive display of cacti along the outside walls. There’s an outdoor bar and terrace and a green-tiled kitchen with rainbow-colored cacti made by the Huichol tribe. Almost everything on the menu is worth trying here, especially when it’s served a la plancha.
Beaker and Gray
Since opening its doors in 2015, Beaker & Gray has become a Wynwood staple. Helmed by chef Brian Nasajon and bar director Ben Potts, this day-to-night restaurant and bar fuses globally inspired cuisine with Wynwood’s relaxed, art-driven spirit. Try menu favorites cheeseburger croquettes, reuben fried rice and pumpkin gnocchi. Or, go for the popular weekday happy hour and share appetizers such as pork fried rice with baby back rib and green papaya; grilled cheese on brioche with a tomato dip; and yucca fries with salt, vinegar and mojo. Ben Potts is Miami bartending royalty, so any of his cocktails are worth trying.
R House Wynwood
R House is part restaurant, part bar and part art gallery. A haven for diners, drinkers, art enthusiasts and musicians, the “R” in R House stands for chef and co-owner Rocco Carulli, and his menu is teeming with the same creativity as the art hanging on the restaurant’s walls. Go for happy hour, dinner or weekend drag brunch and indulge in dishes such as short-rib ricotta pizzetta with parmigiano-reggiano, shredded braised short rib with R House barbecue sauce, black truffle mac ’n’ cheese and polenta blueberry pancakes with whipped blueberry butter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.