Miami is a big city with lots to do and see, making it one of the hottest tourist spots in America. The beaches, clubs, and museums are always crowded with people, and are more expensive because of their popularity. But just because a place isn’t swarming with out-of-towners doesn’t mean that it’s not worth going to – read our list to discover some of Miami’s best-kept secrets that only locals know about.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Small-town sushi bar
This local restaurant and lounge serves the finest Japanese cuisine. A hidden secret, the Sake Room offers sushi, entrees from the kitchen, soups and noodles, desserts, and cocktails and beverages, which of course include sake. The food is amazing and beautifully prepared, while the staff is friendly and the service efficient. Find your zen at Sake room.
Local dive bar
Ted’s is a neighborhood juke joint that only locals have discovered. Pull up a seat at the bar and the friendly staff will serve you an inexpensive drink while you watch the game on the big screen. They have daily happy hour, weekly specials such as ladies’ night, and more. Chomp on some of the bar eats, including the chili cheese fries. Ted’s is definitely a hideaway and you won’t find any tourists here. Do as the locals do and go to Ted’s.
The Café at Books & Books
Hip café and bookstore
The Café at Books & Books is every avid reader’s dream. This quaint bookstore doubles as a café that serves tasty breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They also have a regular happy hour and a coffee happy hour for everyone that needs a mid-afternoon pick me up. It’s the ideal place for brunch, but they also have a lot happening after hours. Every Saturday they offer free live music, in addition to numerous book signings throughout the month. Eat fresh food, read quietly, or meet up with friends. You can do it all at The Café.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Renovated historic Italian estate
This lovely natural setting will stimulate all the senses. Located on the most beautiful grounds, Vizcaya is a picturesque location and national historic landmark. Walk around the gardens and enjoy a few of the art exhibits in place. Be sure to check out different events such as the moonlight garden tours, film series, and more. Vizcaya is like stepping into a lavish European-inspired paradise.
Art Center South Florida
Local art gallery
Surrounded by trendy cafés and restaurants, the South Florida Art Center is a hidden treasure grounded in the arts. Their gallery is a beautiful space that features the work of local artists. They also offer classes in drawing, photography, jewelry making, printmaking and more. Their summer camps and internship programs help bring the community together to appreciate art and become artists themselves. Look out for events such as brunch and movie screenings when a new exhibit opens or closes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.