A world away from Miami’s nightlife and beaches, the nearby Everglades cover millions of acres of remote swampland and marshes that form one of the world’s most diverse ecosystems.
With its silent wetlands, remote islands and deserted beaches, it’s no surprise that every day in Florida’s Everglades National Park brings a new adventure. Known as the River of Grass and designated a Unesco World Heritage site, this extraordinary landscape stretches from Lake Okeechobee near Miami right to Florida’s southern tip. Make every vacation second count by sampling kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, sailing and hiking in North America’s largest subtropical wilderness.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Get away from it all by paddling a kayak around the postcard-perfect mangrove islands scattered off the Gulf Coast. With nothing for miles except endless blue sky, stained-glass green foliage and silky-smooth water, this is the best way to see one of Florida’s most unspoilt areas. Watch for diving dolphins, chattering birds and snuffling manatees, then explore secret bays and slivers of deserted beach perfect for picnicking.
Despite its name, you won’t spot any sharks in this idyllic valley, but astonishing wildlife sightings of other kinds are pretty much guaranteed. Hike, cycle or take the tram across the unique wetlands that are home to 40 species of mammals, hundreds of birds and countless alligators, the largest creatures living in the Everglades. Visit in the morning for the best chance of seeing wildlife in the watery wonderland below.
There is nowhere quite like Chokoloskee for fishing enthusiasts. Neighboring Ten Thousand Islands, this laid-back residential island over the bridge from Everglades City offers the chance to catch trout, bass, mackerel and more in its sheltered waters. Head out to the Gulf of Mexico or choose tranquil days fishing on the inland rivers, beaches or creeks: wherever you go, you won’t return empty-handed.
Get closer to the incredible Everglades ecosystem on one of the world’s most spectacular drives. The Tamiami Trail is the southernmost 275mi (443km) of Highway 41 between the Gulf Coast and Miami, weaving through the heart of the Everglades marshes. Take a short detour on the curving 15mi (24km) loop road across Shark Valley at the northern entrance to the national park to glimpse alligators, turtles, herons and other exotic birds.
Walkers of all abilities can tackle the Gumbo Limbo Trail, a half-mile round trip from the Royal Palm Visitor Center near Homestead. The paved trail coils through the hardwood hammock, a coastal forest dense with tropical vegetation, scurrying wildlife and the distinctive gumbo limbo tree. Known for its red, peeling bark, it is often nicknamed the tourist tree because of its resemblance to painful sunburnt skin.
Take a break on the Tamiami Trail to climb the winding 65ft (20m) observation tower, built in 1965 and the highest accessible point in the Everglades National Park. From the top, catch your breath gazing over unbeatable panoramic views across the distinctive sawgrass prairies. These flood during the rainy season, and are therefore known as the river of grass – or Pa-Hay-Okee in the Mikasuki language.
Expect blinding blue water and bone-white sand on Marco Island, the largest of the Ten Thousand Islands just north of the Gulf Coast entrance to Everglades National Park. The warm Gulf waters and gentle conditions make it a snorkeling paradise, whether you’re a seasoned pro or want to try the activity out for the first time. Either way, Marco Island’s silent underwater world of rainbow-colored fish, sea turtles and manatees will leave you spellbound.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.