The largest barrier island of the Ten Thousand Islands off the Gulf Coast of Florida, Marco Island is a beach and boating paradise with a small-town feel. Make the most of the waterfront lifestyle by staying at one of these Marco Island hotels – bookable on Culture Trip.
Directly west across the state from Miami on the gulf sits the fabulous Marco Island, a playground for those who can’t get enough of the ritzy Southwest Florida lifestyle. Boating and boutique shopping, sunbathing and spa sessions, fine dining and fantastic fishing are just a few of the fun times to be had on this barrier island. Allow these superb hotels on Marco Island to show you how to embrace the luxurious side of the Gulf Coast in Florida.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Miles of white sugary sand, a rooftop pool and the ringing of the captain’s bell at sunset – if that doesn’t set the mood for the quintessential Florida vacation, we don’t know what will. Hang around the pool deck and set your watch by the 3pm complimentary smoothies. If you’re staying during the summer, kids can request Turtle Turndown service in which they’ll learn about the loggerhead sea turtles that nest on the shore and will even get to keep a stuffed turtle to take back home.
Why vacation once when you can call Marco Island your second home? Marriott’s Crystal Shores gives you the opportunity to get settled into the coastal Florida lifestyle with its vacation ownership scheme. Sleeping steps away from the sand will never get old, but don’t be afraid to venture away from the shore to discover local gems like the Calusa Park Butterfly Garden and Marco Island Historical Museum. Don’t worry – the three pools at Crystal Shores will be there whenever you return.
Trust us, lakeside living on the island is just as fabulous as seaside accommodation, especially at Marco Island Lakeside Inn. This Marco Island boutique hotel is in a residential area along Lake Marco, allowing you to live like a local with self-catered suites containing full kitchens, private entrances and personal outdoor spaces. Grab lunch to go from the Lakeside Eatery and scarf it down on a small lake beach or spend your afternoon cruising the cafes and window shopping along Collier Boulevard.
Some say that the sand is the best place to lay under the Florida sun. These people certainly haven’t played the two private championship courses at JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort. The Rookery and Hammock Bay each have sand traps and water hazards that’ll test your swing. Though kids golf for free, balls aren’t included, so your khakis might need to double as swim trunks if their drives end up in the drink.
No time to prep your beach body before vacation? Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort will lend a last-minute helping hand. Book a spa day with head-to-toe treatments, including mani-pedis, waxing, body wraps and facials. When you’re ready to work on your tan, strut to the shore and flag down the roving bar cart to order seaside drinks and snacks. Not too thrilled by the prospect of a sand-rimmed margarita? Simply order your cocktails from the Deck at 560 on the resort grounds.
A mix of Old Florida charm and contemporary comfort is nestled in the north at Olde Marco Island Inn and Suites. This quieter end of the island will treat you to award-winning gardens, a calming hot tub and the refined hospitality that’s drawn guests to this inn since 1883. Crevettes (king prawns), escargots (snails) and other classic French flavors at Bistro Soleil are within a few steps of your suite, but if you want a more Floridian seafood menu, you’ll find it next door with grilled grouper and triple tail snapper at Cafe de Marco or Lee Be Fish Co.
You remembered to pack your boat, right? The fantastic slip rates at the Boat House will lure you out of your room and onto the water day after day. Cruise straight to Keewaydin Island across Marco Bay or sail around Marco Island to the abandoned Cape Romano Dome House and explore the Ten Thousand Islands. During the few moments you do spend in your waterfront gazebo, you’ll be treated to morning coffee and sunsets over the water.
Marco Beach Vacation Suites is not oceanfront – but that didn’t stop the owners from bagging a piece of private beach reserved exclusively for your enjoyment. It’ll only take a few wet footprints to get from the pool to the sand across the street, with a complimentary chair and towel tucked under your arm. Every suite features a full kitchen, but it’s a crime to stay inside during a Florida beach vacation. Bring the booze and burgers outside for a little al fresco dining on the deck’s poolside grill.
Marco Island is a slice of paradise in itself, but Staybridge Suites aims to show you the best of Southwest Florida. Minutes away from Marco Island, downtown Naples and the entrance to the Everglades, it’s easy to fill your visit with day trips to the Picayune Strand State Forest, Tigertail Beach and the Naples Botanical Garden. If you aren’t able to make it back for the evening reception, we suggest at the very least stopping for a cocktail at the poolside Chickee Bar.
For more great hotel options, check out our pick of the best hotels on Marco Island, Florida, for every traveler, bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.