Both Chef and Co-Founder of The Kitchen in Boulder, Hugo Matheson certainly has a lot on his plate. His talent and perseverance have taken him from London to Colorado. After covering The Kitchen in our article on Boulder’s 10 best restaurants, we decided to speak to Chef Matheson and discover more about him and his views on food.
Why did you pick Boulder as the location for The Kitchen?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Boulder is where I was living and starting a family when I met Kimbal Musk, my co-founder, when we decided to start The Kitchen in downtown Boulder over 10 years ago in 2004.
What dish did you create that you were most proud of?
I would say the winter squash with chickpeas and wheat berries from Farmer John Ellis. It’s vegetarian but is eaten as much by carnivores – love a bit of meat, but not too much!
What can we expect from The Kitchen in the near future?
The Kitchen is a growing family of restaurants and we are thrilled to have recently expanded across Colorado into new communities including Glendale, Union Station, Fort Collins and, opening in late October, into the Chicago community. Our non-profit, The Kitchen Community, is reaching over 100,000 children with Learning Gardens in schools across the country and we are expanding to reach thousands of more kids this school year and beyond.
What’s one of the most memorable dishes you’ve ever had, and where did you have it?
Salt-baked bass at La Pinéde in Cap d’Ail (France). It was a dinner on my own while driving through Europe. It’s a memory that lives on.
When you have time to eat out, where is your favourite place to dine in Boulder?
When not eating at home or work I sneak in dinner at the bar at Frasca. It’s the perfect little escape.
For the best drinks in Boulder, head to…
I drink water all day long nowadays but Brian at Oak makes some fine bitters to liven up my Pellegrino! Oak has a great cocktail program. I also like our shop, The Kitchen Upstairs.
What’s your go-to place for local cuisine, and what would you order?
Black Cat. Although sadly I have not been in a while, Eric Skokan is a chef and farmer. I take my hat off to people who take on an entire farm while also running a restaurant. Between running the farm and restaurant he even wrote a book Farm Fork Food. He’s crazy to do all of that at once and I really admire him!
An exciting new arrival to the local food scene?
Excited to see Blackbelly opening. Hosea is going from a mobile unit to bricks and mortar.
In Boulder, culture lovers need to…
Slow down walk the streets. Catch a show at BMOCA or CU Art Museum. Sit out at Boxcar on the East end of Pearl St. to watch the people, and on the West end of Pearl St. watch the changing hills outside Spruce Confections.
The Kitchen, 1039 Pearl St, Boulder, CO, USA, +1 303-544-5973
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.