If the name doesn’t give it away, then the students attending the Professional Santa Claus School certainly will. With classes in “ho, ho, ho-ing” and cut-out snowflake-making, this Colorado-based school is spreading holiday cheer by teaching students to become Santa Claus.
“Most of the men come to me and say, ‘I’d like to play Santa’, and the first thing I say to them is that we don’t play,” says Susen Mesco, founder and director of the Professional Santa Claus School, in the documentary Becoming Santa. The documentary follows a Los Angeles native as he embarks on a journey to Denver, Colorado, to reconnect with his holiday spirit by transforming himself into Santa Claus—a surprisingly arduous task that requires much more effort and dedication than anticipated.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chances are you’ve spotted Santa Claus look-a-likes everywhere, from street corners—ringing bells alongside Salvation Army buckets—to your local department store. Most adults will notice Father Christmas popping up around their city, but few will realize what goes into donning the big red suit. While I had admittedly presumed most Santa volunteers wear whatever standard issue red coat and white fur-trimmed hat is supplied to them, I had never realized a school exists to teach them the art of playing old Saint Nick.
At the Professional Santa Claus School, students run the gamut in race, skin tone, size, and even gender (because Santa needs his Mrs. Claus!). There are no cookie-cutter ideals of what Santa should look like; all you need is a genuine desire to spread holiday cheer to be welcomed through the school’s doors.
Mesco has been training Santas for over 29 years and, according to ABC News, books 1,300 Santas each Christmas in Denver alone, and 1,200 throughout the country. In short, playing Mr. Claus can prove just as jolly for one’s bank account as it does their spirit. ABC News reports that a Santa Claus impersonator can rake in anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000 during the four-week holiday season, while playing Santa at a party can earn someone $100 per hour.
“Can they make money? Absolutely,” Jennifer Andrews, who runs the Calgary-based Victor Nevada School, told ABC News. “But [students] have to spend time honing their craft. You can’t do it well by getting a beard, shoving on a red jacket and saying, ‘ho, ho, ho!'”
Aspiring Santas must invest in their holiday dream if they wish to play the part. A good Santa suit is estimated to cost around $800, boots are priced at $300, while the process of beard bleaching can set someone back an additional $700. In total, it can cost almost $2,000 to transform oneself into St. Nicholas—and that’s just to look like him, then there’s the matter of playing him.
This is where the Denver-based Professional Santa Claus school comes in, teaching prospective Santas everything from the proper way to refer to children (never as “kids”) to how to “ho, ho, ho” (always three times, never more). At the school, students learn how to apply Santa-approved make-up to add that twinkle to their cheeks, and how to handle the left-field requests of children. Should a kid ask for something less tangible—such as world peace or the reconciliation of their divorced parents—the Santas are trained in how to respond delicately and appropriately.
“Santa is a rock star,” Mesco tearfully tells her students in the documentary. “You are the rock star and if you feel the energy that the children give you, that magic should rock you. It’s so important to feel the love from those children and let them give it to you. It’s so important that you realize how big you are to them.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.