Paddleboarding captures the attention of water sports enthusiasts around the world. It combines elements of both kayaking and surfing. These top rental shops in Los Angeles offer lessons, rentals, and accessories for this unique sport.
Known by professionals as S.U.P., or stand-up paddleboarding, this outdoor activity is easy to learn, and enjoyable whether riding alone or with friends and family. The rider uses a paddle to maneuver this over-sized surfboard from a standing position. This activity is synonymous with west coast water sports, making plentiful options to participate throughout Los Angeles.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located in Santa Monica, Poseidon is a funky seaside surf shack offering both rentals and lessons. Doubling up as a coffee shop, the decor is as interesting as the scene, just a few blocks from the infamous Santa Monica Pier. The laidback atmosphere is accentuated by a staff of surfers, artists, and musicians. Come in on a summer evening and there could be a night of live music by local acts or an in-store party with a full bar, just make sure to tip the bartender.
VB Surf is a small dedicated surf shop in Marina Del Rey close to the Venice Fishing Pier. The founder and operator David Boren, a large man with a friendly smile, originally came to Venice Beach from the Pacific Northwest back in 1987. Lifeguards would call him ‘The Rock’ when he began surfing because like a rock, he was on the ocean floor most of the time. Boren since became a master of the tides and swells in Venice, and is a self-proclaimed ocean-lover, teaching countless people how to surf and paddleboard. To keep the local community in mind, a percentage of all rentals go to a number of hospitals and foundations for children with disabilities.
Jay’s Rentals is a simple outdoor rental shack in the center of Venice Beach off Windward Avenue. The bright yellow banners outside make this one-stop-shop difficult to miss and the energetic staff reflect the energy of a sunny summer day in Venice Beach. A modestly covered area is full to the ceiling with rental equipment of every size, shape, and color. Along with the usual surfboards, paddleboards and skateboards found at most rental houses, Jay’s offers a few unexpected items such as three-wheeled bicycles, electric scooters, and even a rickshaw. Assisting both tourists and locals since 1996, Jay’s is one of the most recognizable shops in Venice Beach.
The Pro SUP Shop is the premier site in Los Angeles to learn both paddleboarding and kayaking. Launching out of Mother’s Beach in Marina Del Rey, the clear and calm waters create an ideal environment for first-timers and families of any age. Seals, seabirds, dolphins and many other sea animals frequent the tranquil waters of the shallow marina. The ASI & WPA Certified instructors make learning simple and easy enough to understand, making riding possible in mere minutes.
Check out the videos below for more information on stand-up paddleboarding and water sport related inspiration.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.