California musicians are the producers of some of the most notable and recognizable music in the country. And while many travel to places like Los Angeles or San Francisco to find musical success, the state itself has bred some of the most iconic artists across different generations. In this generation, California continues to hold rank in that category. The following musicians from California are actively pushing the boundaries of sound and performance, creating something you need to see and hear to believe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Insects vs. Robots
Born and raised in Venice Beach, CA the five members of Insects vs. Robots have created a psych-folk band, implementing unusual instruments including the violin, banjo, charango, harp, kazoo, harmonium, and sitar. They are known for extended off-tempo riffs with high-energy stage shows and mind-bending visualizations. Fronted by vocalist Jacob Micah Nelson, the group has shared the stage with music royalty including Neil Young, Jack White, Primus, and Willie Nelson.
Members: Jacob Micah Nelson, Milo Gonzalez, Nikita Sorokin, Tony Peluso, Jeff Smith
From the hidden hippy town of Topanga, CA, Soluzion is one of Southern California’s best-kept secrets. Their sound is heavily influenced by soul, funk, psych-rock, Afro-Latin, and guitarists like Jimi Hendrix. Soluzion’s smooth vocal tone is laid over snappy drum beats, driving bass lines, heavy-hitting guitar solos, and a tight brass section sprinkled with hot latin percussion.
THE CORE FOUR: Terin Ector (bass and vocals), Aquiles “Lito” Magaña (guitar), Sebastian Harris (drums), Pedro Flores (percussion)
SOLUZION FAMILY: Charles “Chuck Boogie” Moore (keyboards), Max O’Leary (trumpet), Will Vargas (saxophone, alto, tenor, baritone) Matt Moss (drums), Marko Sanchez (drums), Akane Tada (keyboards), Eric Lynn (keyboards), Jesse Sharps (alto, tenor, soprano)
Formed in 2012 out of Malibu, CA, this artsy post-punk band boasts prog-rock tendencies and psychedelic influences with funky rock-riffs at the core. They drew up a following in Los Angeles with high-energy shows influenced by Led Zeppelin and the Talking Heads. Iron Tom toured with the Red Hot Chili Peppers in May 2017.
Members: Zach Irons (guitar), Harry Hayes (lead vocals), Dyl Williams (drums), Daniel Saslow (keys), Dane Sandborg (bass)
The dexterous fingerpicking of Sydney Lyndella Ward (a.k.a. Sunny War), coupled with her inviting but macabre tone, makes this solo artist someone to look out for. After performing on the boardwalk in Venice Beach, CA for over seven years, she has recently found overdue success, including a write up in both LA Weekly and Rolling Stone Magazine. She is currently with BMI, a performer’s rights organization.
Members: Sydney Lyndella Ward (guitar and vocals)
Deap Vally is a hard-hitting female rock duo assembled in 2011 out of Los Angeles. The two met after guitarist and singer Lindsey Troy took a crocheting class taught by drummer Julie Edwards. After touring both in the U.S. and abroad, they split from their label to finance their sophomore album independently. Taking inspiration from rock, blues, punk, and whatever else they consider necessary, they are not afraid to put their strong points of view in songs like “Critic.” Keep a look-out for this ambitious pair.
Members: Lindsey Troy (guitarist, vocals), Julie Edwards (drums, vocals)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.